About Clayton State University
At Clayton State University, student dreams are made real in practical classes, internships, and real-life experiences. From over 34 states and 32 countries, students come to Clayton State in suburban Atlanta for:
- Personalized attention
- Small class sizes
- Affordable career preparation
- Outstanding faculty
- Vibrant campus life
The campus feels like a second home, including 214 acres of park-like beauty and an inclusive and supportive community of students, faculty, and staff.
Our mission focuses on empowering our students through rich experiences that engage their critical-thinking skills and prepare them for their chosen careers. We know that in order to say, “mission accomplished” on graduation day, we have to foster an inclusive community that rallies around the individual dreams and aspirations of our students. Through outstanding programs, appropriate support, and an environment that reflects 21st-century business and industry, we make their dreams a reality.
Mission and Vision
Clayton State University cultivates an environment of engaged, experience-based learning, enriched by active community service, that prepares students of diverse ages and backgrounds to succeed in their lives and careers.
Through a distinctive combination of proven and innovative methods of teaching and learning, Clayton State University will excel in preparing students from many walks of life to meet the challenges of living and working in a dynamic, global society.
Clayton State University is committed to:
- Creating an outstanding educational experience that stimulates intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and innovation.
- Engendering a spirit of openness, understanding, collaboration, and mutual respect throughout the University.
- Fostering learning that engages students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the greater community.
- Expanding and allocating resources strategically according to mission and values, to support overall institutional effectiveness.
- Providing an inviting and supportive campus community for faculty, staff, and students.
- Repositioning Clayton State University in the higher education marketplace and beyond.
History of Clayton State University
As universities go, Clayton State is young. That may be why we understand dreams so well. On this campus and in our classes, we see the dreams and hopes of past generations becoming our day-to-day reality.
Each year, since first opening our doors in 1969, we build on those new realities, supporting dream after dream with resources, facilities, an encouraging community, and traditions that unite us under a banner of Laker pride.
- Location: Morrow, GA
- Founded: 1969
- Accreditation: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- President: Dr. Thomas Hynes
- Enrollment (as of fall 2016): 6,996
- Faculty (full-time): 247
- Number of Colleges: 4
- Undergraduate Degree Programs: 43
- Graduate Degree Programs: 8
- Associate Degree Programs: 5
- National Athletics Affiliation: NCAA Division II
- Conference: Peach Belt Conference
- Nickname: Lakers
- Colors: Laker Blue and Georgia Clay
- Lakes: 5
- Acreage: 214
Programs taught in: