Voronezh State University is a research-led institution and its research activities are organised within a network of 18 faculties, 6 research institutes, 16 research laboratories administered by the Russian Academy of Sciences;
Our 10 research and developments centres have a strong record in collaborating with the region’s leading commercial and public sector organisations;
We pride ourselves on fundamental cutting-edge research currently carried out in the Nanotechnology Centre and the Science Park which house state-of-the-art facilities and implement advanced technologies enabling us to consistently retain high rankings among the leading Russian Universities;
We are among Top 100 BRICS Universities (17th in Russia and 90th in BRICS);
We have an excellent academic portfolio of over 100 postgraduate courses which are available both to Russian and international students. Aiming to provide greater research opportunities we expand the number of our postgraduate courses every year across different faculties;
We offer a multitude of undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses (both full- and part-time) which centre around the following major research and teaching programmes:
- physics and mathematics
- natural sciences
- humanities and social sciences
- educational theory and pedagogy
- medicine and pharmaceutics
- economics and management.
Apart from its 10 buildings and 9 residence halls located primarily in the city centre, the university’s infrastructure comprises:
- a unique Nature Reserve Galichya Gora open to staff and students’ research and study: it is the only university-affiliated nature reserve in Europe
- excellent library facilities providing access to numerous learning resources as well as a collection of old and rare books, some of which date back to the 16th century
- Folk Culture and Ethnography Museum
- Book Museum
- University’s History Museum
- Geological Museum
- Soil Museum named after prof. P.G. Aderikhin
- Museum of the Central Black Earth Region Flora named after prof. I.I. Barabash-Nikiforov
- Usmanskyi Bor Natural Museum
- Virtual VSU Computer Centre Museum.
Currently, over 1400 staff are actively involved in research projects, including 100 research fellows, 3 full members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 70 academicians and corresponding members of Russian and foreign Academies, and 292 professors. A total of 43 staff members hold various honorary titles awarded by the government of the Russian Federation for their outstanding achievements and notable contribution to their research fields;
The university’s research portfolio includes as many as 28 key research areas with a strong emphasis on ground-breaking research into nanotechnologies;
Over the course of its long and glorious history, Voronezh State University has formed more than 40 internationally recognized academic and research communities which annually undertake more than 200 research projects and are regularly awarded national and international grants to pursue their research. Currently, the staff are actively engaged in 8 international projects as part of TEMPUS and FP7 programmes;
Voronezh State University is home to 25 Dissertation Defense Boards which oversee the preparation and the defence of PhD, Dr. Phil. habil and Dr. Phil. nat. habil dissertations and submit recommendations to the Supreme Certifying Committee for the award of postgraduate degrees;
Voronezh State University is highly committed to distributing and exchanging knowledge and expertise generated by our researchers. We have rightfully earned a reputation as a leading research centre in Russia due to a total of more than 60 national and international conferences that we host on an annual basis. We also view it as our number-one priority to uphold a long-established tradition of international quality academic publishing.
Over a span of more than 95 years of our history we are proud to have awarded degrees to more than 100 000 graduates;
Nearly 1650 academic staff work at the university, including 277 professors and 856 senior lecturers.
VSU's Mission is to generate scientific knowledge, to conduct interdisciplinary programmes aimed at training highly qualified professionals, as well as to implement innovative solutions, ensuring a high quality of life in accordance with the national interest and global market demands.
VSU sees itself as:
- an achievement-oriented world-class centre of research and education for the Sciences and Natural and Human Resource Management;
- a centre of interdisciplinary training of Russian and international students in academic programmes which are competitive at the international level;
- an entrepreneurial university whose activities are focused on accelerating technology transfer and the adoption of innovative technologies in the hi-tech sector of the economy of the Central Black Earth Region and Russia as a whole;
- a dedicated institutional leader in the Central Black Earth Region committed to pooling the intellectual and cultural resources of the higher education system in order to enhance the socio-economic prosperity and improve the people's living standards.
- Voronezh State University is one of the oldest universities in Russia – almost 100 years of achievement in the Voronezh region, Russia and the world;
- VSU is among Top 100 BRICS Universities (17th in Russia and 90th in BRICS);
- VSU has over 21 thousand students – the largest number of students in Voronezh;
- VSU has the most buildings (10) and dormitories (9) among all the universities in Voronezh;
- Voronezh offers students excellent value for money and a low cost of living;
- VSU is engaged in collaboration with more than 120 international universities;
- VSU is the only University in Europe with its own unique Nature Reserve;
- There are 42 Sports Clubs in 25 kinds of sports, including football, cross-country skiing, orienteering, wrestling, chess, wushu, karate-dō, rock climbing, dance sport, etc. for students to choose from;
- There are 8 creative associations aimed at developing the students' talents;
- There are 6 European languages, 5 Slavic languages, and 3 Oriental languages, taught at VSU.
Voronezh, Voronezh Oblast, Russia