Tacoma Community College
USD 10,573 / per year *
15 Nov 2024
Earliest start date
03 Jan 2024
* $22,408 including fees and on-campus housing
With the Paramedic Certificate, you'll build on your EMT training. As a paramedic, you may be employed by the fire department, hospital, or private ambulance companies. You'll be the eyes, ears, and hands of an emergency physician while in the field. The program is designed to prepare graduates to meet Washington state certification requirements and to take the National Registry EMT-Paramedic examination. Upon successful completion of the certificate program, students have the option to pursue an Associate in Applied Science Degree.
Apply in the spring for this one-year, 61-credit certificate program, which starts summer quarter.
Before applying to the Paramedic Program, you must earn your EMT Certificate and complete all prerequisites.
Students may choose to take additional credits in order to earn an Associate of Applied Science degree.
- Fall 2023 - Application Deadline (Aug 15) and Classes Start (Sep 25)
- Winter 2024 - Application Deadline (Nov 15) and Classes Start (Jan 3)
- Spring 2024 - Application Deadline (Feb 15) and Classes Start (April 1)
The 12-credit Emergency Medical Technician Certificate must be completed before entering the Paramedic program.
The 12-credit Emergency Medical Technician Certificate must be completed before entering the Paramedic program. No formal application is necessary.
This 12-credit program is offered every quarter. Pre-requisites must be completed prior to enrollment.
- Emergency Medical Technician Basic EMC 110 10
- EMC 111 2
Total Credits: 12
Paramedic Certificate Program
This 61-credit program starts the summer quarter and is completed over four consecutive quarters.
Pre-requisite courses must be completed prior to program application. These include:
- Human Biology (BIOL &175) - 5 credits
- Medical Terminology (HIT 130) - 3 credits
Summer Quarter (10 credits)
- Introduction to Emergency Medical Care EMC 116 4
- Pharmacology EMC 117 3
- Human Body Systems EMC 118 3
Total Credits: 10
Fall Quarter (17 credits)
- Cardiology I EMC 218 4
- Medical Emergencies I EMC 230 6
- Paramedic Skills Lab EMC 225 3
- Paramedic Clinical EMC 130 4
Total Credits: 17
Winter Quarter (19 credits)
- Cardiology II EMC 219 2
- Medical Emergencies II EMC 231 3
- Trauma/Special Populations EMC 220 2
- Paramedic Skills Lab II EMC 226 3
- Crisis Resource Management EMC 240 2
- Paramedic Clinical II EMC 131 7
Total Credits: 19
Spring Quarter (15 credits)
- Medical Emergencies III EMC 232 3
- Paramedic Skills Lab III EMC 227 3
- Paramedic Clinical III EMC 132 9
Total Credits: 15
This program is structured so that students can begin work in the Emergency Health Services field after obtaining the EMT Certificate, and continue to add credentials for career advancement options. A career and education progression might include:
- EMT Certificate
- Paramedic Certificate
- Associate of Applied Science Degree (Paramedic Certificate + 42 credits)
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Community Health