Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene (Free Online Course With Diploma)
Alison Free Online Learning
6 - 10 hours
Full time, Part time
Earliest start date
* free course
Are you considering a career as a dental assistant? Look no further! Dental health is essential to maintaining an overall healthy lifestyle. This course will position you to flourish in a career as a dental assistant. Understand the standards needed to maintain cleanliness in a dental practice, learn dental assistant skills, gain detailed information on offering the best services to your patients and more. Don’t hesitate: enrol today!
This Free Online Course Includes:
- 6-10 Hours of Learning
- CPD Accreditation
- Final Assessment
All Alison courses are free to enrol study and complete. To successfully complete this Diploma course and become an Alison Graduate, you need to achieve 80% or higher in each course assessment. Once you have completed this Diploma course, you have the option to acquire an official Diploma, which is a great way to share your achievement with the world.
Your Alison Diploma is:
- Ideal for sharing with potential employers
- Include it in your CV, professional social media profiles and job applications.
- An indication of your commitment to continuously learn, upskill & achieve high results.
- An incentive for you to continue empowering yourself through lifelong learning.
Alison offers 3 types of Diplomas for completed Diploma courses:
- Digital Diploma: a downloadable Diploma in PDF format immediately available to you when you complete your purchase.
- Diploma: a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Diploma, posted to you with FREE shipping.
- Framed Diploma: a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Diploma in a stylish frame, posted to you with FREE shipping.
Scholarships and Funding
As we are an online platform, we do not offer degrees or scholarships.
Dentistry is as vital as any other branch of medicine. The importance of dental health cannot be overemphasised. The practice of good dental health can prevent many dental problems which cause decreased quality of life and possible medical complications. As a dental assistant, you are responsible for executing critical functions in the dental office. Therefore, it is sensible to become acquainted with dentistry, dental terms, practice and procedures. The success of any dental operation relies on you, as a dental assistant, diligently carrying out your responsibilities most effectively and efficiently. This course examines how dentistry evolved and the various types of dentists you find. Every profession has standards of practice concerning its region of operation. This course teaches the standard of practice attainable in the United Kingdom, which serves as your guiding principle in your profession as a dental assistant.
The duties and responsibilities of a dental assistant require a combination of clinical and administrative tasks. One of your responsibilities includes acting as a link between the front office and the clinical aspect of the dental office. To dispel the public's popular perceived notions about dentistry as an anxious experience, you need to possess the prerequisite skills and qualifications. Discover a dental assistant's skills, qualifications and duties and their significant effects on maintaining an ambient dental environment. You will research preventive dentistry and your role in educating patients on different preventive techniques. We explore oral nutrition and how you can use this knowledge to educate and make recommendations to your patients regarding dental nutrition.
Familiarise yourself with head and neck anatomy, physiology and tooth morphology. This knowledge will ensure that each patient receives high-quality dental care. We will discuss charting, the process of recording the patient’s oral cavity conditions using colours, symbols and numbers. Learn to record a patient’s information using dental charts, either manually or technologically. We then guide you on the efficient use and maintenance of dental tools. Being knowledgeable about a subject sets you apart from one who is not. Being adequately informed about dental practice and seeing you succeed as a dental assistant is the sole aim of this course. We prepare you to become an outstanding professional dental assistant. This course is for everyone, whether you are considering a career as a dental assistant, a dental health student or perhaps simply want to learn about dentistry and oral hygiene. This diploma course is perfect for you. So sign up and start this course today!
Introduction to the Dental Profession and Standards
In this module, you will learn about the history of dentistry, members of the dental team, their roles and responsibilities, and the standards of dental practice which comprises the GDC of the UK, codes of ethics governing the dental profession, and communication tips for adult and child patients.
Dental Assistant Skills, Oral Health and Dental Terminologies
In this module, you are going to learn about the skills, duties, and qualifications of a dental assistant, patient interaction in the front and treatment room, dental office management, various equipment and technology in the dental office, and clinical applications of software. You will also learn about preventive dentistry and techniques.
Oral Nutrition, Tooth Morphology and Patient Care
This module offers an in-depth analysis of fluoride and oral nutrition in dentistry. You will learn about the demineralization of tooth enamel, eating disorders and dental health, general, head and neck anatomy and physiology and tooth morphology, dental eruption, teeth structure, patient care, dental charting, and chair-side assistance.
What You Will Learn In This Free Course
- Recognise the members of the dental team, and their roles and responsibilities.
- Explain the role and objectives of the General Dental Council (GDC) of the UK.
- Discuss how to prioritise patient requirements in the dental profession.
- Describe communication tips for adult and child patients.
- Recognise the skills, qualifications and duties of a dental assistant.
- Explain the impact of patient interaction in the front office and treatment room.
- Discuss preventative dentistry and patient motivation for different age groups.
- Distinguish between the vibratory, orbital and scrub brushing techniques.
- Describe plaque and its formation, causes, effects and preventive measures.
- Discuss the background of fluoride in relation to the dental industry.
- Discuss the causes of ‘dental eruption’ and explain the structure of teeth.
- Describe the components of a dental chair and the basic steps and concepts of chair-side assistance.
- Explain how to obtain a medical history and perform a preliminary clinical examination.
Complete This CPD Accredited Course & Get Your Diploma!
Certify Your Skills
A CPD-accredited Alison Diploma/Certificate certifies the skills you’ve learned.
Stand Out From The Crowd
Add your Alison Certification to your resume and stay ahead of the competition.
Advance in Your Career
Share your Alison Certification with potential employers to show off your skills and capabilities.
A dental appointment makes the bravest of people jittery but patients should take heart from the fact that the dentist will deliver safe and efficient care with the able support of a Dental Assistant.
Every medical facility worth its name strives to provide seamless healthcare to all the patients who cross its threshold. Medical Assistants (MAs) play a critical role in enabling medical establishments to uphold their reputation.
A Dental Technician follows the dentist’s prescriptions to help patients bridge the miles towards oral health and aesthetically pleasing smiles by designing, constructing, fitting, and repairing various corrective medical devices and prostheses.
Dentists are oral care experts who get to the root of the dental problems affecting their patients. Dentists try to make the world a better place, one smile at a time, with appropriate tools and treatment procedures wielded in a caring manner.