Discover Biodigital Architecture
We offer you the chance to take part in the first architecture program that explores the subject from a biological and digital perspective. An avant-garde syllabus and a new, 21st-century concept at your fingertips.
You will have the opportunity to use state-of-the-art technology with new production possibilities. And a whole new world of tools will open up to you, enhancing your professional qualifications and job skills.
Are you ready to see the possibilities awaiting you in the field of digital architecture?
Why choose Biodigital Architecture?
- Innovative education.
- Experiment with genetic-driven software, evolutionary processes, emerging systems, and scripting.
- A new vision of cybernetic-digital and environmental processes.
- Explore concepts such as bio-learning and morphogenesis.
- The international approach and premier academic staff.
- Learn with an international teaching body which has made significant contributions to this new cutting-edge field of biodigital architecture.
UIC Barcelona's Master's Degree in Biodigital Architecture is a pioneering program of UIC Barcelona School of Architecture that combines architecture, biology, and new digital trends. Since the year 2000, this program has offered a unique approach to architecture from a biological and digital perspective.
The teaching program establishes points of contact between new cybernetic-digital and ecological-environmental techniques. It incorporates experimental concepts, methods, and works that use genetic-driven software, evolutionary processes, emerging systems, algorithms, parametric models and scripting. An innovative view of architecture that draws from areas such as genetic versus generative, natural versus digital and the impact of new biologies.
An avant-garde architecture and design program that integrates the latest developments in conceptualization and projection technology: Data-Driven Production, CNC numerical control machines, 3D printers... In short, a non-standard form of architecture that applies and promotes the genetic and digital principles of variation, mutation, and hybridization.
If you have a university degree in Architecture, Engineering, Fine Arts, Design, Landscaping, Biology or Genetics, this is the right master's degree for you. No previous specialized knowledge of cybernetics or ecology is required.
Architecture, Engineering, Design, Art, Teaching, and Research.
The combination of advanced digital technology applied to architecture and biological knowledge will open up a new, as of yet untapped market.
University Master's Degree (official), which enables you to undertake doctoral studies.
Digital manufacturing laboratory and genetics laboratory.
Curriculum and subjects
Introduction to Genetics and Biodigital Architecture
Seminars and conferences on:
- Metaphysics and Computation
- Theories of Emergence
- The Fundamentals of Genetics
- The Emergent Nature of Life
- Eco Manipulation
- Genetic vs. Generative
- Digital Tools and Organic Forms
- New Bio and Digital Techniques
- The work of Antoni Gaudí and Salvador Dalí as a source of Biodigital Architecture
Digital Tools and Organic Forms.
Practical classes with training in digital tools such as generative software, parametric associative software, scripting, production tools, and CAD/CAM machining, linked to project development.
Genetic and Biodigital Architectural Design
Studios and workshops including personalized tutorials in order to develop designs and carry out research.
The final presentation of the research project.
Who can apply?
This program is aimed at university graduates from the following areas: Architecture, Engineering, Fine Arts, Design, Landscaping, Biology or Genetics, this is the right master's degree for you. No previous specialized knowledge of cybernetics or ecology is required.
Required level of education: Graduate Degree or Bachelor’s Degree + University Master’s Degree. Minimum credit load: 240 ECTS
How to apply
- Register online
- E-mail the following documents to your designated program advisor:
- Photocopy of your passport
- 1 passport-size photo
- A certiﬁed* copy of your Diploma**
- A certiﬁed* copy of your Academic Transcript
- A signed copy of the UIC Barcelona general conditions (ﬁnd attached to the conﬁrmation e-mail you receive after registering online)
- A signed copy of the UIC Barcelona data protection form (ﬁnd attached to the
- conﬁrmation e-mail you receive after registering online)
- A filled in and signed copy of the grant survey referring to any external grants/financial aid for which you may have applied
- Motivation letter (please include your Skype username in your signature)
- Portfolio (format, content, and length up to the student)
- Certiﬁcate of English language level (minimum B2)
- Recommendation letters (optional)
- Other certiﬁcates, diplomas or proof of work experience (optional)
* Document must have an oﬃcial stamp from your university
** If you do not yet have your Diploma, please submit the proof of payment of the diploma issuance fees or a document from your university certifying your expected date of graduation.