Get a detailed understanding of the NHS - its inner workings, current and future challenges, and how it all fits together.
Learn how healthcare is delivered in the NHS
The National Health Service (NHS) is a source of British national pride placed above the BBC, the British Olympic team, and the Royal Family. It affects the lives of millions of people.
But have you ever wondered how many people it takes to keep a nation healthy? Or how much money it costs to run the NHS? Or why hospital waiting times are always in the headlines?
This course will help you understand what keeps the fifth largest employer in the world running. You’ll explore the challenges facing the system, and how to ensure the NHS is fit for the future.
What topics will you cover?
- How the NHS in England is structured.
- How different services work together to deliver health care in the NHS.
- How funding flows through the system.
- How well the NHS is doing.
- How performance is measured in the NHS.
- Future challenges facing the NHS and how the system is changing in response to this.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Demonstrate a wide understanding of how the constituent parts of the NHS in England work together to deliver health and care services.
- Discuss the future challenges facing the NHS and the way in which the system is adapting to meet these challenges.
- Summarise the various ways in which the NHS measures how well it is performing.
- Explore the resources required needed to keep the nation healthy.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in the NHS in England and how it works. This includes NHS and social care staff in England (working in both clinical and non-clinical roles), students considering a career in the NHS, and patients and the public.
Who will you learn with?
I'm a librarian at The King's Fund and alongside managing the library and public enquiry service, I also lead on our service that helps to keep people up to date on health policy in England.
I'm a digital content producer at The King's Fund. I work on our digital content and online presence, including our social media channels and videos.
I'm an analyst in the policy team at The King's Fund. I support research mainly though quantitative analysis and communication of various datasets. I also lead on adult social care analysis.
Who developed the course?
The King's Fund
The King’s Fund is an independent charity working to improve health and care in England. Its vision is that the best possible health and care is available to all.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.