The Psychology Program seeks to develop a new generation of Clinical Psychologists capable of performing excellently in different clinical settings. The Program ascribes to a bio-psychosocial systemic model and follows a practitioner/scholar educational model. It prepares Clinical psychologists able to competently integrate the professional knowledge, skills attitudes, and values that serve as the foundation of clinical practice in the supply of evidence-based training experience.
Psychology Internship Consortium
- Bachelor’s degree (BS/BA) Present evidence of the successful completion of a bachelor’s degree from a college level institution accredited by the PR Council of Education or by a US accrediting organization with a minimum of 15 credits in psychology including the following courses:
Course Credits General Psychology 3 Developmental Psychology 3 Abnormal Psychology (Psychopathology) 3 Experimental Psychology (or Scientific Research) 3 Statistics 3
- GPA – 3.00 or above (on a four-point scale)
- GRE minimum score of 279 or EXADEP minimum score of 500, no more than five years old. www.ets.org
- Submit the following documents:
- Official transcript from all institutions attended (undergraduate and graduate)
- Three letters of recommendation written by professors or individuals familiar with the applicant’s professional work and skills using the format provided with the application form.
- Official scores of GRE or EXADEP www.ets.org
- Certificate of No Penal Record (Criminal Background Check)
- A non-refundable USD$80.00 application fee
Applicants with master’s degrees in Psychology, Psychiatric Nursing, Social Work, Counseling or other mental health-related fields, are accepted. The same admission requirements still apply. Up to 24 credits may be transferred from other graduate programs or from a master’s degree. The following requirements will guide (but not restrict) the evaluation process of those courses submitted for approval:
- Courses need to be relevant to the field of Clinical Psychology
- The student must have approved the course with a minimum of a “B” grade.
- The student must demonstrate in an objective manner, or through formal written and/or oral examination, that he/she has the skills expected of such courses.
It is the student’s responsibility to provide the course description from the official catalog of the institution in which the courses were taken. P.H.S.U. has a number of courses and practicum that are not substituted with courses or practicum transferred from other institutions unless the student demonstrates specific competencies in such areas. However, many of the elective courses may be waived based upon the number of credits transferred. This will allow students who enter with a Master’s degree to complete the academic portion of the program faster, allowing them more time to work on their Dissertation or Case Study and with the internship requirements. Upon acceptance, all students are required to submit the following:
- Written confirmation of acceptance and a non-refundable deposit of USD$100.00 to secure the seat in the entering class.
- Physical Exam (using a form provided by Admissions Office)
- Health Certificate from the Department of Health of PR
- Evidence of up to date immunization record (must include Varicella, Td Adult, MMR and three doses of Hepatitis B).
- Policy on Technical Standards
- Other documents will be notified as pertinent.
The program is designed to take 5 years to complete. Of those that completed the program in 2014-2015, 80% finished in 5 years.
Cost & Fees
Tuition and fees: $61,771
Books and supplies: $16,898
On-campus room & board: not offered
*The amounts shown above include costs for the entire program, assuming normal time to completion. Note that this information is subject to change.
Financing for this program may be available through grants, scholarships, loans (federal and private) and institutional financing plans.
The median amount of debt for program graduates is shown below:
Federal loans: $176,635
Private education loans: $0
Institutional financing plan: $0