Pre University Summer School – Medicine and Healthcare- July 2019
This programme is designed for students between the ages of 15 and 18 who are interested in a future career in any healthcare related role, from Doctor to Scientist.
The four areas that the course intends to address include the following:
- Provide insight into careers in Healthcare both in the UK and internationally.
- Explore different areas of study concerned with the provision of Healthcare.
- Learn about the basics underpinning Medicine and healthcare and the challenges to modern day healthcare.
- Preparation for life as a student at highly rated Russel Group University and elsewhere.
The course is an opportunity for high school students and equivalents around the world to get together and learn about their potential futures, giving everyone a real insight into what it takes to work in Healthcare in today’s times and what they should expect in their future studies.
Another key element of the programme is to enable all students to get to know people from all over the world who find themselves in the same situation and grow as a group and as individuals with various challenges and activities throughout their stay at the University of Exeter. This is further encouraged with the social programme ranging from surfing lessons to team challenges and visits to local areas of interest.
The students are supported in groups by current students of the university working as specially trained Ambassadors, providing the participants with the opportunity to really understand life at University and how careers can progress.
Sessions on the programme include:
- A field trip to a local large hospital.
- Visits from external professionals to provide real insight into daily working life.
- Practical sessions including dissections and clinical skills practice.
- Background sessions on the history, theory and perspectives of healthcare.
- A look at healthcare from a patients perspective.
- Practical guidance on application to higher education institutions and interviews.
- Development of soft skills needed to succeed in Higher Education and beyond.
- A group simulation challenge of a modern difficulty in healthcare.
- A study fair to gain insight into a variety of qualifications leading to a career in healthcare from Medicine to Psychology and Neuroscience.
Sessions are taught from within the faculty of the College of Medicine and Health at the University of Exeter as well as wider university faculty for an interdisciplinary look at the theme of Medicine and Healthcare as well as professionals and supported by current students of the university.
Included in the programme fee of £2,600 is the following:
- Half board accommodation on campus.
- Meet and greet return transfer from Heathrow airport and any further transport required on the programme.
- Academic Programme.
- An exciting social programme designed to help the group get to know each other and work well together.
- Certificate of Attendance and Academic and Social reference.
- 24-hour welfare and support from the University Staff.
- Designated current student ambassador per group of students.