- Pre-med students may choose majors from all disciplines, from sciences to arts to languages, fostering pursuit of individual academic interests and qualification for medical school admission.
- Typical pre-med students at Daemen College major in a Biochemistry pre-professional track. This major includes all of the courses required for acceptance into medical schools and provides students with a strong scientific background leading to success in their professional programs.
- Students majoring in the Biochemistry pre-professional major are required to complete a two-year research experience. Students work with their Natural Science faculty mentor for two years and write a senior thesis based on their research.
- Study abroad experiences are also encouraged to enhance their global and cultural awareness.
- Service learning is required for all majors at Daemen College which is congruent to the mission of many medical schools.
- Students meeting the academic requirements have guaranteed admittance to Nova Southeastern University of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Strong scientific preparation by highly qualified faculty
- State of the art labs and equipment
- Pre-med advisors
Hands-on research requirement with Natural Science faculty having a wide variety of research interests in areas such as:
- Wound healing
- Developmental biology
- Forensic science
- Marine biology
- Bio-organic chemistry
- The physical chemistry of wound dressings
- Anatomical evolution
- Environmental chemistry
- Organic chemistry
- Brain electrical activity
Articulation Agreement with NOVA Southeastern University
Daemen College has signed an articulation agreement with NOVA Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. The agreement is structured around a 4+4 program for qualified students earning a Bachelor of Science degree in biology or biochemistry. Up to five students per year graduating from Daemen who stay within a specified grade point average and meet other program requirements will be guaranteed positions in the NOVA Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine.
NOVA Southeastern University is the nation’s seventh largest, not-for-profit independent institution of higher education, with more than 127,000 alumni and more than 29,000 students enrolled in classes. NOVA offers a diverse array of innovative academic programs, complementing on-campus educational opportunities and resources with accessible distance learning programs fostering academic excellence, intellectual inquiry, leadership, research, and commitment to the community. NOVA Southeastern and Daemen share a service-oriented approach to higher education, through the engagement of students and faculty in a dynamic, lifelong learning environment.
Our healthcare programs and theirs, are focused on assisting those individuals and populations who live in under-served areas. Osteopathic medicine offers a distinctly holistic approach to health care. The NOVA Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine is distinguished by an emphasis on primary care and a tradition of caring for patients in under-served rural and urban areas. The training of vitally needed family physicians, and the drive to reach rural, minority, geriatric and indigent populations, are unique focuses of the NOVA Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) program.
Daemen students who are accepted as undergraduates in the 4+4 program will also have opportunities to participate and travel with NOVA Southeastern students and faculty on health care missions around the world. Recent NOVA Southeastern missions have included Vietnam and the Dominican Republic.
Program taught in: