Study for a prestigious PG Certificate in Global Health Policy by distance learning
This programme provides you with an in-depth understanding of health determinants and outcomes that transcend national boundaries, and the policy responses required to protect and promote population health in a globalizing world.
The programme is aimed at students and professionals from both health and non-health backgrounds who seek to understand more about the policy environment associated with issues of global health. It will be of value especially to those who may be seeking to assume positions related to issues of global health policy in national, regional or global health organizations, health-related research institutions, non-governmental organizations and private consultancies.
Studying individual modules on a stand-alone basis is an ideal option if you wish to update your professional knowledge or sample the programme. The fee is £1,900 per module.
By the end of this programme, you will be expected to:
- have established a solid foundation in various theories and practices concerned with global health policy
- understand the emerging institutional structures and governance mechanisms to address global health issues
- gain a good appreciation of relevant health policy research methods, such as comparative analysis and cross-country learning
- be able to apply these analytical and methodological skills to address the multifaceted challenges posed by global health issues.
The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is a leading postgraduate institution in Europe for public health, global health, and tropical medicine. The school won the Gates Award for Global Health in 2009 (worth $1 million), becoming the first academic institution and the first British organization to win the award.
It was crowned 'University of the Year' at the Times Higher Education Awards 2016 for its 'extraordinary' response to the Ebola crisis.
The core modules of this programme are delivered predominantly online via LSHTM’s Virtual Learning Environment, Moodle, which contains lecture notes and slides, activities, discussion forums and links to all essentials and some recommended reading via LSHTM’s online library. Tutorial support is available via Moodle where you can also communicate with fellow students. You also have access to online library resources via the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine’s and University of London’s Senate House libraries.
Late application fee
Applicants who submit applications on or after 1 June 2017 will be required to pay an application fee of £100 at the point of submission, which will be deducted from the balance of fees payable upon registration. If the application does not result in registration, the application fee will not be refunded. No application fee will apply to applications submitted on or before 31 May 2017.
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine has a partnership with the Said Foundation who offers funding opportunities to Syrian, Lebanese, Jordanian or Palestinian nationals. Find out more on our Funding your Study page.
Structure and syllabus
PG Cert: 4 compulsory core modules
A first or second class honors degree or the equivalent, from a university or other institution acceptable to the University of London, in:
- Either a scientific subject such as biology, medicine, nursing, or pharmacy;
- Or a social science subject such as Anthropology, Demography, Development Studies, Economics, Environmental Studies Human Rights, Geography, International Politics, International Relations, Law, Policy Studies, Politics, Political Science, Sociology, or Water and Sanitation.
Please note we accept qualifications from around the world