Postgraduate Certificate Dental Education
This is the only University accredited course in the UK that is specific to dental staff giving them the opportunity to learn to teach dentistry in the context of dentistry, a highly distinctive learning environment. The course focuses on the development of practice-based teaching, learning and development and has been devised and developed with colleagues in Postgraduate Dental Deaneries and Dental Schools. The course is firmly linked to rapidly changing external agendas for dentistry particularly the COPDEND Guidelines for Dental Educators (2008) and the Curriculum for UK Dental Foundation Programme Training launched in 2006.
Both documents stress the need for proper training for those Dentists and Dental Care Professionals who supervise, assess and support those undertaking the new foundation programme.
This Course is concerned with the contemporary practice of dental education in both Higher and Professional Education contexts though with a focus on practice-based contexts. The Course recognises the diverse educational roles and responsibilities of those involved in the design, delivery and evaluation of dental education and is designed to meet the development needs of both those new to dental education and those with considerable experience.
This Course provides you with a sound theoretical underpinning to the practice of dental education in its contemporary policy, professional and practice contexts. It aims to foster the development of a full range of dental educator skills and provides opportunities for you to engage in a range of work-related professional development activity. Uniquely, this Course includes a focus on dental contexts as a site for learning and development, particularly chair-side teaching and the development of learners using supervisory skills and dentally specific assessment tools.
There are opportunities to progress your skills in educational leadership within dentistry, medicine and healthcare and the opportunity to undertake an educational research or educational development project within dental education, medicine or healthcare.
Specifically, this Certificate - level Course aims to:
- Position dental education in both historical and contemporary theoretical, policy and professional contexts.
- Enable students to adopt a critical, analytical and reflective stance towards dental education and its practice.
- Support the development of dental educator skills in relation to both Higher Education and Professional Education contexts.
- Develop transferable skills as detailed in section 7.
- Promote students critical self-awareness and reflexivity in relation to the practice of dental education and their current and/or future educational supervision roles.
- Foster creativity, innovation and ethical practice in educational inquiry, development and leadership within dentistry and the dental care professions.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 27, 2017