PhD in Medical Radiations Science
Use your advanced research skills to contribute to new developments in medical radiation sciences.
Our multidisciplinary approach offers you opportunities to conduct leading-edge medical radiations research.
We hold several prestigious National Health and Medical Research Council grants and conduct numerous industry-linked research programs.
Your research will be supported by state-of-the-art research facilities including specialised laboratories that promote a collaborative approach to science.
Under expert supervision, you will develop your skills and join researchers already active in:
- quantitative and qualitative projects in medical imaging
- radiation therapy
- nuclear medicine
- medical physics.
This PhD may be undertaken by thesis by publication or thesis mode. Prospective candidates should discuss these modes of submission with their potential supervisor/s prior to application.
You will undertake the PhD program under the supervision of an appointed research supervisor.
The PhD program is structured to enable you to:
- Complete a compulsory research methods course
- Receive training in research integrity and ethics
- Select studies in qualitative and quantitative research techniques
- Complete a thesis/project which demonstrates your original contribution to the field and your ability to communicate complex or original research for peers and the community to an international standard.
As an applicant for the Doctor of Philosophy you must have:
- a degree of Masters by Research from RMIT; or
- a degree of Masters by Coursework from RMIT which includes a research program with a duration of at least one semester full-time (or part-time equivalent); or
- a degree of Bachelor from RMIT with a minimum upper second honours; or
- another award as deemed equivalent; or
- such qualifications or experience as RMIT considers appropriate; or
- current candidature for an RMIT Masters program approved for transfer to the Doctor of Philosophy program.
These entrance requirements are the minimum academic standard you must meet in order to be eligible to apply for the program. You will need to complete a selection task as part of your application.
A selection process will be conducted in conjunction with the School and supervisors you nominate.
English language requirements:
To undertake most research programs at RMIT, you must have achieved one of the following English proficiency test results within the last 2 years:
- Academic IELTS (minimum score) overall band of 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- TOEFL (Paper-based): minimum score of 580 (with a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): minimum score of 92 with a minimum of 20 in each section
- Cambridge English (Advanced CAE): CAE Grade B (no band less than Good)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): minimum score of 58 (no band less than 50)
This school offers programs in: