PhD in Biomedical Science
Use your advanced research skills to contribute to new developments in biomedical sciences.
Our collaboration with RMIT’s Health Innovations Research Institute (HIRi) provides exciting opportunities for world-class biomedical and biotechnical research with state-of-the-art equipment and facilities.
We have a multidisciplinary research base that offers opportunities to conduct biomedical research in a range of areas.
Under expert supervision, you will develop your skills and join researchers already active in:
- cardiovascular biology
- cell biology
- cell signalling
- drug delivery
- exercise metabolism
- exercise physiology
- growth and development
- measurement of exercise behaviour
- molecular biology
- motor skill development and control
- natural products
- obesity and diabetes
- pharmaceutical sciences
- pharmacy practice
- physical activity and disability
- skin cancer
- transfusion/transplantation science
- wound repair.
This PhD may be undertaken in as thesis by publication or thesis mode. Prospective candidates should discuss these modes of submission with their potential supervisor/s prior to application.
You will be able to pursue an academic career in a university or be employed in senior leadership and management positions in government, scientific and industrial research laboratories.
As an applicant for the Doctor of Philosophy you must have:
- a degree of Masters by Research from RMIT; or
- a degree of Masters by Coursework from RMIT which includes a research program with a duration of at least one semester full-time (or part-time equivalent); or
- a degree of Bachelor from RMIT with a minimum upper second honours; or
- another award as deemed equivalent; or
- such qualifications or experience as RMIT considers appropriate; or
- current candidature for an RMIT Masters program approved for transfer to the Doctor of Philosophy program.
These entrance requirements are the minimum academic standard you must meet in order to be eligible to apply for the program. You will need to complete a selection task as part of your application.
A selection process will be conducted in conjunction with the School and supervisors you nominate.
English language requirements:
To undertake most research programs at RMIT, you must have achieved one of the following English proficiency test results within the last 2 years:
- Academic IELTS (minimum score) overall band of 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- TOEFL (Paper-based): minimum score of 580 (with a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): minimum score of 92 with a minimum of 20 in each section
- Cambridge English (Advanced CAE): CAE Grade B (no band less than Good)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): minimum score of 58 (no band less than 50).
This school offers programs in: