Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences: Biology
Ph.D. studies in the area of Biology at LSU started in 1993. In the period of 1993 – 2014, 65 doctors of science were trained. In 2011, joint doctoral studies in Biological Sciences of Lithuanian Sports University and the University of Tartu (Estonia) were launched. Joint LSU and UT Ph.D. study in Biology consolidated research in the area of Biology, and they ensure more integrated and substantial investigations of scientific problems in biology.
Research of doctoral students in Biological Sciences involves many branches of biology:
- Animal anatomy and morphology
- Animal physiology
- General pathology
- Molecular biophysics.
The duration of doctoral studies is 4 years.
- Systems Theory and Methodology (mandatory) (15 ECTS)
- Advanced exercise physiology (10 ECTS)
- Biological Basis of Locomotion (3 ECTS)
- Basics and Principles in Research Methodology in Sports and Exercise Science (3 ECTS)
- Physiology of physical capacity (5 ECTS)
- Muscular blood flow and sports performance (5 ECTS)
- Applied computerized statistics (5 ECTS)
- Ethics and Methodology of Science (6 ECTS)
- Physical activity and Health (3 ECTS)
- Molecular and Cell Biology (6 ECTS)
- Rules of Admission to Doctoral Studies at LSU for 2019 (hereinafter referred to as the Rules) establish a procedure, in accordance to which students shall be admitted to the third cycle (doctoral) studies in the field of Biology in 2019.
- The applicants shall be admitted to doctoral studies through an open competition.
- Persons with a Master's Degree or an equivalent qualification may apply for state-funded or non-funded study positions.
Documents to be Submitted
- An application addressed to the Rector of the University to participate in the competition.
- A signed Curriculum Vitae.
- Master’s Diploma or a diploma/ certificate equivalent to it and its Supplement (originals will be returned straightaway after official registration).
- A list of published scientific articles and their copies (or a letter from the Editorial Board of a journal certifying that the article to be published has been accepted).
- An essay on each selected topic (in the English language).
- A copy of an identity card or a passport page containing personal details.
- A photo of the size 3x4 cm.
- A payment receipt.
- A copy of a document confirming the change of the surname.
- Certificates issued by the Center for Quality Assessment in Higher Education on academic recognition of foreign higher education qualification (if the qualification has been obtained in a foreign higher education institution).
- Announcement of doctoral dissertation topics and competition procedures to scientific supervisors.
- Announcement of the proposed doctoral dissertation topics.
- An applicant submits an application to participate in an open competition indicating up to 3 preferred dissertation topics in order of priority.
- Physiology examination. Applicants with a degree in the field of Life Sciences, Health Sciences or Sport shall not take the examination.
- A Committee with the scientific supervisors of all dissertation topics carries out motivational interviews in the English language. Scientific supervisors evaluate the essays on their topics.
- Scientific supervisors select candidates who have met all the requirements for doctoral studies in accordance with their rates.
- Admission meeting of the Doctoral Committee in the field of Biology. Announcement of final results.
- Submission and hearing of appeals.
- Signing study agreements with students.
Admission Fee, Bank Details
Admission fee amounting to 30 EUR shall be transferred to the bank account of Lithuanian Sports University, account No. LT 047044060003325574, bank AB SEB bankas, bank code 70440. Personal code shall be indicated. The admission fee shall not be refunded.
Annual Tuition Fee for Students in State Non-funded Study Positions
4500 EUR for full-time studies.
All cases not covered in the Rules of Admission to Doctoral Studies shall be considered by the Doctoral Committee of joint doctoral studies in the field of Biology at LSU and T.U..
Program taught in: