With a rapidly ageing population, changes in technology, changes in management demands, and the evolution of nursing knowledge and practice, there are growing opportunities for qualified senior nurses and nurse leaders in Australia.
JCU Online’s Master of Nursing gives you the qualifications and skills you need to evolve your career as fast as healthcare itself is changing. It will allow you to take on more complex roles and deliver better patient care.
James Cook University’s Online Master of Nursing offers three principle specialisations:
- Advanced Practice: Giving you the skills you need to deliver advanced patient care
- Leadership and Management: Giving you the confidence and knowledge to embrace leadership or management positions in healthcare, or
- Education: Giving you the ability to take on educational practice roles in clinical or non-clinical environments.
With JCU, you can gain your qualification on your terms, at your own pace and in your own time.
This innovative, 100% online course gives you the flexibility to fit your study around your busy schedule. Designed by passionate nursing professionals, for passionate nursing professionals, you’ll learn from some of Australia’s foremost nurse academics.
Take control of your nursing career with JCU Online’s Master of Nursing.
To be eligible to enroll in the online Master of Nursing, applicants must have:
- Completed an AQF Level 7 Bachelor of Nursing, or equivalent qualification, and;
- Registration as a Registered Nurse (Division 1) or Registered Midwife with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) or equivalent registration with the relevant registering authority for applicants outside of Australia;
- Completed a minimum of one year of full-time clinical experience, or the part-time equivalent, as a registered nurse.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 3a – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
What you will study
Through the online Master of Nursing, you’ll learn how to design and implement research, and discover how to advance the body of knowledge in your clinical field.
You’ll also have the opportunity to choose one of two majors:
- Leadership and Management: Prepare for leadership roles in any healthcare context. The course gives you a broad range of necessary expertise including ethical leading and managing peoples, dispute and conflict management, and finance and budgeting.
- Education: Develop your ability to become an effective and proficient nurse educator in any setting. The course gives you the foundational knowledge of adult education theories as they apply in the clinical context and beyond, as well as contemporary tools you’ll need to coach nurses, healthcare students, and patients and their families learn more effectively.
- Advanced Practice: Prepare yourself for your next step as a proficient and confident clinician. This major gives you the specialist skills in health assessment, diagnostic reasoning and quality use of medicines to deliver advanced patient care clinical settings.
- Informatics for Health Professionals
- Effective Clinical Governance
- Persuasive Communication
- Synthesising Evidence for Healthcare
- Quantitative Research in Healthcare
- Qualitative Research in Healthcare
- Implementing Practice Development in Healthcare Contexts
- Professional Portfolios for Career Advancement
Leadership and Management major
- Leading and Managing in Health
- Ethics and Health Management
- Business and Finance for the Health Manager
- Conflict and Dispute Resolution in Healthcare
- Principles of Education for the Health Professional
- Teaching in Practice Settings
- Clinical Coaching
- Contemporary Healthcare Education
Advanced Practice major
- Advanced Health Assessment
- Quality Use of Medicines in Practice
- Applied Health Assessment and Advanced Practice
- Diagnostic Reasoning for Advanced Practice
Assessment includes a combination of completed coursework and assignments.
The JCU Master of Nursing comprises subjects which also form part of the Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma of Nursing.
Should you choose not to complete the course in its entirety, the structure of the course lets you use the work you’ve done to gain an alternative postgraduate qualification.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
If you have previously studied related subjects, experienced on-the-job training or gained skills that are relevant to this course, you may be eligible to receive credits towards your Master of Nursing, cutting the overall time it could take to complete your degree.
Personalised support for your success
Study online at JCU and help will always be right at your fingertips. You’ll have access to one-on-one support from your own personal Success Advisor, from commencement right throughout your studies, keeping you motivated and on track to achieve your goals.
JCU’s innovative and interactive learning environment, with video, audio, discussion boards, chat forums and practical assessments, will help you learn more effectively and efficiently. You’ll also have access to live sessions with your tutors, mentors, and classmates – wherever you are. Smart, effective online learning is here.
The Master's degree adds that extra bit of credibility. At the stage I am at now with my career, it has helped me in having the confidence to speak up and act on issues that I’m quite passionate about. Susan Muirhead, Master of Nursing student