Fundamentals of Global Health
Fundamentals of Global Health aims to introduce the principles and scope of global health and health-related development strategies. It addresses health-related development strategies, such as the Millennium Development Goals, considering social determinants of health and health equity. Focusing on the principles of global health, participants will learn about the concepts on measurement of health, demographic trends, burden of disease, and epidemiological transition.
Further topics addressed include global health governance, key institutions and their agendas, roles and responsibilities and international partnerships for research and development.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
● describe and define the scope and principles of global health.
● describe legal frameworks for global health/global health governance.
● understand basic health indicators.
● describe demographic trends and population growth.
● describe the use of mixed methods for global health research.
● describe social determinants and inequalities in health.
● understand the theory of epidemiologic transition.
● interpret the effects of migration on health.
● describe approaches to health equity.
● describe health related development goals and targets.
● design a strategy for health advocacy.
● describe issues surrounding sustainability and health.
● explain ethical issues in global health research.
As this is a university course, it is covered by academic accreditation. Upon passing the final exam, you will receive a recognized certificate from Utrecht University and the UMC Utrecht.
The course is offered by
As part of the following program