Learn how patients with a serious infection can be managed in outpatient settings with the help of an OPAT service.
Discover the function, role and limitations of an OPAT service
OPAT is a clinical service which enables patients with serious infection to be managed in an outpatient setting. The service aims to facilitate admission avoidance or early hospital discharge.
On this course, you will be introduced to the concept of OPAT. You’ll start by looking at the roles and responsibilities within the multi-disciplinary OPAT team.
Next, you’ll examine the importance of patient selection and antimicrobial choice, followed by device selection and monitoring.
By the end of the course, you’ll know how to develop an OPAT service in your own setting.
What topics will you cover?
The course will cover:
- The function, role and limitations of OPAT in modern health care.
- The roles and responsibilities within the multi-disciplinary OPAT team.
- The importance of patient selection, antimicrobial choice and device selection and monitoring in achieving an optimal outcome.
- How OPAT relates to the wider antimicrobial stewardship agenda and health care governance.
Who is this accredited by?
This course has been accredited by the RCPath for 12 CPD points.
Royal College of Pathologists: The Royal College of Pathologists is a professional membership organisation with charitable status, concerned with all matters relating to the science and practice of pathology.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 17 August 2020
- 12 October 2020
- 7 December 2020
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Identify the function, role and limitations of OPAT in modern health care.
- Explain how patient selection, antimicrobial choice and device selection and monitoring are crucial to achieving an optimal outcome.
- Apply antimicrobial stewardship principles to clinical OPAT practice.
- Compare the different roles and responsibilities within the multi-disciplinary OPAT team and reflect on how other health care providers may contribute to the service.
- Explore how OPAT relates to the wider antimicrobial stewardship agenda and health care governance.
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at healthcare professionals who are interested in developing an OPAT service.
Who will you learn with?
I'm an ID physician in Glasgow & I lead our Antimicrobial Stewardship programme & OPAT service. I also chair the Scottish Antimicrobial Prescribing Group & co-chair the BSAC OPAT initiative.
Hello, I'm a consultant antimicrobial pharmacist and OPAT lead within Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust in London. I look forward to interacting with you on this OPAT Mooc.
Who developed the course?
Founded in 1971, the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy exists to facilitate the acquisition and dissemination of knowledge in the field of antimicrobial chemotherapy.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.