What Will I Learn?
- You will be more confident reading ingredient lists and nutritional labels.
- You will understand the details of food nutrients and how they affect the body.
- You will be able to demonstrate a healthy diet.
- You will be able to provide for yourself all the nutrients like protein, calcium, and iron, from plant-based foods.
- You will be able to create a healthy vegan diet will all the nutrients you need
- You will be able to avoid the fads and diet extremes seen on the internet
- You will have tools needed to avoid the pitfalls of a restricted diet.
A very basic understanding of biology is helpful, but not critical.
This course is detail oriented if you don’t like stats and numbers you may find the first part of the course difficult.
Who is the target audience?
- Those who have a basic understanding of healthy living but want to learn more about nutrition itself.
- Those interested in the best health and wish to have optimal nutrition including vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores.
- Those considering a career in nutrition.
- Introduction to Basic Health
- Overview of Nutritional Terms
- Understanding Food Labels and Claims
- The Science of Nutrition & Professionals
- Carbohydrates – Sugar
- Carbohydrates – Starch
- Carbohydrates – Fiber
- Fat – Omega 3, 6, 9 & Cholesterol
- Minerals Starting With Iron & Zinc
- More Minerals – Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium
- Vitamins – Starting with B’s
- Vitamins A, C, E, K – the Antioxidants
- Couple More Minerals – Sodium & Potassium
- Trace Minerals, B12 & Vitamin D
What to Avoid & Problem Areas
- Nutritional Deficiencies & Food Allergies
- Organic vs Toxic Chemicals – Finding Balance
- Fads. Trends, and Extremes in Diet
- Exercise Unlocks Nutrients
Putting It All Together
- Calorie Intake & Menu Development
- Practical Application & Summary
Nutrition 4 Optimal Health -Handouts
- Nutrition 4 Optimal Health -Handouts
See 31 more programs offered by iStudy »
Last updated January 26, 2019
This course is