Whether you are thinking of studying Medicine as an undergraduate degree or as a graduate course, this course is designed to set you on the right path to achieving your ambitions, developing skills and knowledge in fundamental areas of medicine. The course also encourages development in wider skills essential to the successful study and practice of medicine, including patient communication, ethical considerations, conducting a patient examination and other practical skills.
As with all of our Gap Year subjects, the Medicine course focuses on the production of an extended piece of writing that the student must research and produce independently under the guidance of our tutors. Typically this consists of a thesis on a specific topic within Medicine, often an area of debate or something featuring heavily in the news, although there is scope for producing something other than a thesis. Possible thesis titles and topics include:
- Medical Breakthroughs in Times of War
- The Medicine of the Middle ages: Key Developments
- Pioneering figures in Medicine: Jenner, Pasteur and Fleming
- Ethical considerations in Medicine: Cloning, Genetic Modification and Stem Cell Research
- The Ethics of Animal Testing in Medicine
Other possibilities beyond the production of a thesis include:
- The production of a beginner’s guide to the study of Medicine in general, the study of a specific area within Medicine, or the practice of Medicine.
- The production of a series of educational videos outlining medical techniques for beginner medical students.
Following Orientation Week, tutoring at our International Study Centre begins. This phase introduces the student to some of the fundamental areas of Medicine, covering the following modules:
- An Introduction to Medicine
- Biochemistry and Genetics
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical Ethics
- Key Practical Medical Skills
About the School
Oxford Royale Academy students sleep, eat and study in a college of the University of Oxford — just like the University’s undergraduates. This gives our students the rare opportunity to experience the ... Read More