This program prepares graduates to work in the fast-paced field of health professionals and perform administrative duties in medical offices and clinics, hospitals, health and chiropractic centres, insurance agencies, and private businesses.
The Medical Office Assistant Certificate is a fast-paced program that is offered in a part-time format. Student should be comfortable using a computer and open to learning software programs.
In order to complete the Certificate, students must:
- successfully complete all of the courses listed below.
- apply for the Certificate upon successful completion of all required courses. Certificate request forms are available at the Continuing Studies office.
- complete all of the course requirements within 3 years
- Expect to dedicate significant time and effort on homework and studying.
- Regular attendance is expected and required.
If you are a graduate of Medicine Hat College's Administrative Office Professional (AOP) certificate, you can receive advanced standing in the Medical Office Assistant certificate program. With your AOP certificate, and successful completion of CA 0005 Medical Terminology, CA 0006 Procedures and Ethics, and Standard First Aid with Level C CPR, you will receive a Medical Office Assistant certificate. PLAR (prior learning assessment and recognition) will be provided for the computer skills training and keyboarding requirements, as well as the "Productivity and Workplace Communication" course requirements.
For more information or to register, call registration at 403-529-3844 or visit Continuing Studies. Courses can be found under the Business & Leadership and Computer & Technology sections.
The Medical Office Assistant duties can include front desk reception, making patient/client appointments, preparing charts, record keeping, Alberta Health Care billing, basic medical transcription and working with different departments within hospitals. An in-depth foundation in medical terminology provides a base for working in the medical field.
Medical Assistants demonstrate the following characteristics:
- the ability to maintain patient confidentiality
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- good organizational and time management skills
- strong computer skills and confidence in operating other office equipment
- the ability to maintain accuracy while multi-tasking or working under pressure
- a mature attitude toward the human body, wellness and disease processes
- the ability to follow directions closely and accurately
- the ability to establish a professional rapport with and instill confidence in patients
- the ability to deal effectively with the difficult behaviours sometimes exhibited by people in distress
- the ability to work independently or as part of a team
To earn the Medical Office Assistant Certificate, students must achieve a grade of 75% on each of the required courses. All classes will have a minimum attendance requirement and class participation and presentation will be graded.
Upon success completion of the required courses, students must apply for the certificate by contacting the Continuing Studies Office at 403.529.3874.
Differences between Medical Office Assistant and Hospital Unit Clerk Programs
The Hospital Unit Clerk student is prepared to work in a hospital setting. The program includes skills in processing medical orders, operating hospital information system software, and general skills for a hospital nursing unit. Some health regions will specify that a Hospital Unit Clerk Certificate is a job requirement. However, Hospital Unit Clerk graduates have transferable skills that enable them to find employment in other health settings.
The Medical Office Assistant student is prepared to work in a medical or private office or clinic. The program includes training in specific clinical skills for the medical office or clinic, basic financial skills, medical billing, and the use of health care software for medical offices or clinics.
There are several courses that are identical in the two programs. If a student completes one of the programs, and wishes to gain a Certificate in the other, the student can apply for transfer credit for these identical courses.
Courses can be paid on a course by course basis. Prices are subject to change. Fees are as follows:
- Tuition: $645 + GST
- Textbook: $97.50 + GST (approx.)
- Material Fee: $35 + GST
Procedures and Ethics for the Medical Office
- Tuition: $575 + GST
- Material Fee: $45
Productivity and Workplace Communication
Tuition: $395 + GST
Introduction to Microsoft Office Applications for the PC
Tuition: $149 + GST
Standard First Aid with Level C CPR
Fees are set by service provider. Approx. $150
Microsoft Word Level 1A & 1B
- Level 1A: $189 + GST
- Level 1B: $189 + GST
- Combine & Save: $345 + GST
- Successful completion of Medical Terminology (CA 0005) is a prerequisite to entering the Medical Office Assistant certificate program.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 27, 2016