Read the Official Description
- Directors: D. Benjamín Herreros
- Credits: 60 ECTS.
- Duration: October 31 - June (two years).
- Modality: Online and blended.
- Price: 4,800 euros
In current medicine, ethical conflicts are increasingly frequent and have a high impact on decision making. It is essential that health professionals develop specific skills to face the growing challenges of the medicine of the future. The "Master in Clinical Ethics" offers the opportunity to develop knowledge, skills and attitudes to identify effective solutions to conflicts through an innovative teaching methodology, focused on active teaching and skills learning. The teaching model offered in the Master is integrated and multidisciplinary, focused on the presentation of clinical cases through schemes specifically designed to facilitate student understanding. The teaching method of presenting cases through schemes has been introduced in medicine in Canada, the United Kingdom and the USA, being innovative in the teaching of clinical ethics in Spain and Latin America.
- Main: develop specific competences that facilitate the resolution of the most frequent ethical conflicts in clinical practice.
- Know the fundamental aspects and problems of clinical ethics, as well as its main areas of application in daily clinical practice.
- Develop the necessary skills to assume the role of an ethical consultant / consultant in three modalities: the individual format of the consultant, the mediator and the member of ethics committees for health care.
- Develop the necessary attitudes to facilitate the making of moral decisions, both individually and in groups, and thus optimally solve the most frequent ethical problems.
- Medical professionals who develop clinical activity in the health field. These professionals can range from less experienced doctors (residents of recent years and young deputy doctors), to more expert professionals.
- Degree professionals with an interest in the ethical aspects of the clinic: nursing, psychology, dentistry, pharmacy, physiotherapy, social work, law, philosophy. They can be newly qualified professionals and also expert professionals.
- The Master has a blended format (combining online teaching with classroom teaching) and also online .
- The distance classes will be done via streaming , thus interacting the student with the teacher and their classmates through an online platform that ensures their participation, offering the same teaching quality as the face-to-face class.
- Cases-scenarios: all classes will have a seminar- type teaching format with practical cases designed specifically for students according to an integrated methodology: case-based-learning , ecological learning and clinical presentation model . The teaching method adopts an approach focused on the construction of a scenario that represents a conflictive clinical case, which can be presented or simulated by the students. The scenario is supported by conceptual schemes that allow the student to analyze the clinical case from two dimensions: the analysis of the problem and its possible solutions. In this way, learning focuses on the problem and on the skills needed to solve it. All the scenarios are integrated with schemes that facilitate the development of the students' competences.
- The narrative ethic (audiovisual media and texts) will facilitate the discussion of the fundamental themes of the teaching program, integrating the clinical ethic with the medical humanities (history of medicine, social sciences, art, anthropology), which allows an in-depth understanding of the problems and arguments exposed.
- Simulation: students will have the opportunity to witness simulation (simulated scenarios), so that they can be placed in contexts close to clinical reality. Simulation allows you to represent a scenario in a controlled way and combine problem-based learning with competency-based learning. The simulated scenario offers the possibility of manipulating the dynamics of a clinical case to stimulate the development of competencies. The simulation combines the clinical presentation of the conflict case (pre-briefing) with a deliberative moment (debriefing) and converts the student's experiences (simulation) into a starting point for the construction of specific competences. This approach allows the teaching staff to evaluate the acquisition of competences through specific tools designed on the basis of the conceptual schemes that support the student in the theoretical classes.
- Hours: 50% will be class hours ( online and in person) and the other 50% will be individual work (reading of teaching material and case analysis) and tutorials .
- The students will have personalized tutorials with the teaching staff to clarify any doubts that may arise.
- Module 5 of Practices and TFM has the objective of carrying out internships in health centers and ethical consulting services (ethics committees, clinical consultants, etc.), so that the student can experience the professional reality of clinical ethics and thus process the skills developed throughout the Master. The practices can be done in person and at a distance.
- Master blended:
- The blended Master will have two formats
- Weeks: Two face-to-face weeks in the first year (last week of Module 1 and the first week of Module 2) and two face-to-face weeks in the second year (the practices in Module 5)
- Days: Ten days in the first year (Friday morning and afternoon) and ten days in the second year (Friday morning and afternoon).
Program taught in:
Last updated March 12, 2019
This course is
Online, Online & Campus Combined