This study course is for students who wish to become specialized graduates with an advanced biomedical knowledge concerning the links between the structure and the purpose of biomolecules and bio-systems operating at cellular and tissue level of the human body, in both physiological and pathological conditions. The wide knowledge of the techniques is based on a solid practical activity in laboratories during the internship.
Subject to the educational aims of Class LM-9, the acquired knowledge allows specialized graduates to assist physicians in the diagnostic and therapeutic tasks involving the manipulation of cells, genes, and other biosystems requiring applicants to learn special skills in experimental biotechnology (e.g. Diagnosis and gene therapy; therapy through the use of genetically engineered cells; rational design and development of new medicines based on models of molecular targets known or derived from pharmacogenomic knowledge; preparation of nano-biotechnological tools for advanced diagnostics imaging and drug delivery; modulation of the immune response; diagnostics based on innovative processes of science and medical laboratory techniques; immunotherapy to targeted cells); organize and coordinate laboratory activities for advanced research or for diagnostic examinations requiring the use of biotechnological methods and the manipulation of cells or biotechnological materials; organize and coordinate the experimental protocols of clinical research involving the use of materials or biotechnology techniques; design and perform with autonomy research in biotechnology applied to medicine; lead and coordinate, also in governance, development programs and surveillance of biotechnology applied to human beings, taking into account the ethical, technical, environmental and economic implications.
First year: Advanced Biomedical Technologies Or Laboratory Activities 1: Cellular And Molecular Therapies Or Laboratory Activities 2: Molecular And Systems Biology, Laboratory Medicine Technologies And Molecular Diagnostics, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology: Design And Analysis Of Biopharmaceuticals, Seminar
Molecular Medicine Curriculum: 6 Months At Ulm University: Glp/Gsp Bioethics, Molecular Oncology, Trauma Research And Regenerative Medicine
Traditional Curriculum: Proteomics And Bioinformatics, Cell And Organ Physiology And Medical Pathophysiology, Genetics, Immunology And General Pathology, Nanobiotechnology
Second year: Experimental Models In Vivo And Vitro, Pharmacology And Molecular Therapies, Stem Cell Biology And Molecular Biology Of Development, Thesis Work
Molecular Medicine Curriculum + Proteomics And Bioinformatics
Biotechnology physicians will be able to head research laboratories in a predominantly technological and pharmacological environment and coordinate, as well as in terms of management and administration, program development and the monitoring of biotechnology applied on human beings with emphasis on the development of pharmaceutical products and vaccines, taking into account the ethical, technical, and legal implications and environmental protection.
- To work in industry (pharma, biotech companies) for new diagnostics, molecular therapeutics, regenerative medicine and vaccines
- To work in academia as a researcher in one of the many fields of Molecular Medicine
- To be an entrepreneur in Biotech start-up companies as a result of scientific discoveries
Graduates will be able to assist doctors in the diagnostic and in the therapeutic phases when those imply the manipulation of cells, genes, and other biosystems and when specific biotechnological experimental competencies are required.
To enroll in the second-cycle degree course, applicants need to:
- have earned a first-cycle degree or other foreign degree recognized by current legislation
- meet specific curricular requirements set by the Course which will be checked by filling in the online pre-enrolment application form.
To enroll in the second-cycle degree in Medical Biotechnologies, candidates must meet specific curricular and educational background requirements.
The following curricular requirements need to be met:
- 1.a) a degree in classes: ex DM 270/04: L-2 class of the degrees in Biotechnologies; L-13 class of the degrees in Biological Sciences; L-27 Class of the degrees in Chemical Sciences and technologies; L/SNT3 Class of the degrees in Technical health professions; LM-41 Class of the second- cycle degrees in Medicine and Surgery; ex DM 509/99: class 1-Biotechnologies; class 12-Biological Sciences; class 21-Technical Sciences and Technologies; class 46/S-Medicine and Surgery; class SNT/3- Technical health professions; OR
- 1.b) 52 ECTS in the following areas (SSD): BIO/09 - Physiology; BIO/13 - Applied Biology; BIO/14 - Pharmacology; BIO/16 - Human Anatomy; BIO/17 - Histology; MED/04 - General pathology; MED/07 Microbiology and Clinical microbiology; FIS/01; FIS/07; BIO/10.
C1 or Intermediate level of English which enables the user to use English fluently, both when speaking and writing, also using sector-specific lexis.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 16, 2018