A graduate program in applied areas of biological and biomedical sciences.
Qatar faces a unique set of healthcare challenges. Diseases such as diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular conditions as well as mental health issues are in constant progression in Qatar and the region. While these diseases seem unrelated to each other, recent findings clearly established that their high prevalence in many areas of the world in general, and in Qatar in particular, is due to a combination of environmental pollution and heredity factors. The elevated levels of consanguineous marriages in Qatar and the Gulf region promote the expression of genetic mutations that trigger or favor these diseases, yet many of the molecular and cellular mechanisms involved remain elusive.
In order to counter some of these challenges, HBKU's graduate programs in the biological and biomedical sciences aim to train the next generation of scientists and encourage the best and most distinguished students to pursue leading positions in the biomedical research field in Qatar.
Outline for the BBS MS program
Students spend the first semester taking core classes while identifying potential research advisors. In the second semester, students take a mix of core and elective classes. At this time, students begin their thesis research, and select a Research Advisory Committee (RAC); a committee that will give advice and oversee the student’s progress. At the end of the two years, all MS students are anticipated to submit a written thesis and defend it orally.
Ultimately, CSE's innovative degrees aim to train the next generation of scientists in their fields with world-class expertise in cutting-edge technologies in biologically and bio-medically relevant areas, to be able to translate research findings into clinical benefits.
A 33-credit program, taught in English over two years, that includes:
- 4 Core Courses
- 4 elective courses
Admission & Application Requirements
- Applicants seeking admission to the Biological and Biomedical Sciences (BBS) graduate program must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution. They must have an excellent undergraduate academic record with a strong background in science and evidence of coursework in biological or medical sciences.
- Applicants are required to take the IELTS or TOEFL exam in order to demonstrate their proficiency in English. Applicants can be exempt from this requirement if they meet one of the conditions listed below:
- The applicant completed their studies at an institution in a country where English is the native language
- The applicant provides an official letter from the university where they completed their undergraduate studies confirming that they obtained their degree from an institution where the medium of instruction is English (if not otherwise exempt)
- The applicant's first language is English
- While the GRE is not required for admission to the program, a strong GRE score will help strengthen the applicant’s admission material.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 30, 2018