- Course title: Master of Pharmacy
- Course code: PMPHRFTT1
- Postnominal: M.Pharm.(Melit.)
- Level of qualification: Second Cycle
- National Qualifications Framework level: Level 7
- Duration: 3 Semesters
- Mode of attendance: Full-time
- Total ECTS credits: 90
- Coordinator: Lilian M. Azzopardi
- Delivered by: Faculty of Medicine and Surgery
The course consists of three semesters and is taken by graduates in possession of the 4 year BSc (Hons) in Pharmaceutical Science degree. It gives an entry-level professional pharmacy degree. It supports students to integrate skills in pharmaceutical sciences and pharmaceutical practice so as to practice in a wide variety of settings including community pharmacy, hospitals, pharmaceutical administrative institutions, pharmaceutical regulatory sciences and the pharmaceutical industry.
Admission and progression requirements
The Course shall be open to applicants in possession of the degree of Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Pharmaceutical Science comprising 240 ECTS credits, obtained with at least Second Class Honours.
Applicants in possession of the degree of Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Pharmaceutical Science) obtained with Third Class Honours shall be eligible to apply if they submit a portfolio covering three years' practice in an area related to Pharmacy.
Info for applicants with international qualifications
UM currently hosts over 1,000 full-time international students and over 450 visiting students. The ever-increasing international students coming from various countries, in recent years, have transformed this 400-year old institution into an international campus.
Our international students generally describe Malta as a safe place, enjoying excellent weather and an all-year varied cultural programme. Malta is considered as the ideal place for students to study.
The International Office at UM provides information about admission, English language requirements, and comparability of qualifications. Dedicated personnel assist international students with visas, health tests, accommodation and other related issues.
Fees and funding
- Total Tuition Fees: Euro 13,400
- Year 1: Euro 13,400 - Year 2: NIL
These tuition fees are quoted for indicative purposes only as they are based on the programme of studies of 2018/9.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of care frameworks and a comprehensive understanding of evidence-based therapeutic interventions;
- Interpret and evaluate patient data in relation to the prescription of medicines and the patient’s overall needs while liaising with other healthcare professionals;
- Participate in pharmaceutical regulatory processes that ensure efficacy, safety and quality of medicinal products and pharmaceutical processes;
- Promote health, wellness and disease prevention;
- Manage medication distribution and inventory control in the light of pharmaceutical processes including risk management strategies;
- Critically analyse evidence and literature;
- Analyse and interpret data, dissemination of results and research report writing.
Course intended for
Applicants who are already in possession of a BSc (Hons) in Pharmaceutical Science degree having followed a four-year programme of studies and who wish to complete their studies towards a Master in Pharmacy in order to be eligible for a pharmacist’s warrant.
Career opportunities and access to further studies
Graduates will be able to register as a pharmacist and practise as a pharmacist in community pharmacies, hospital settings and the pharmaceutical industry. Successful completion of the course will allow graduates to further their studies with a specialised Masters or Doctorate degree.
Program taught in: