MCh Orth encompasses taught, clinical attachment and research elements, which provide orthopedic surgeons with in-depth knowledge of the latest advances in surgical and biomechanical techniques.
There are several key reasons to apply for this course:
- Course accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- The MCh (Orth) Dundee is awarded by the Top Medical School in Scotland and among the Top 5 best medical schools in the entire UK; something no other similarly titled course has the privilege of
- Best lecturing faculty is drawn from specialists across the entire UK
- Best research experience in clinical and biomechanics in association with the Institute of Motion Analysis and Research, one of the leading facilities in biomechanics and motion analysis worldwide
- Associated clinical attachment with a consultant orthopedic surgeon with no need for GMC registration
- Our MCh Orth philosophy is to recruit ambitious orthopedic surgeons with career aspirations that encompass leadership, academic excellence and the highest levels of skill and expertise
- Our successful MCh Orth graduates value education and recognize the need for professional reflection and lifelong learning to deepen their understanding and to enhance their ability and develop a sound professional judgement
We have been successfully educating orthopaedic surgeons for 20 years and to date we have over 350 graduates. We continue to offer the highest standard of visiting external lecturer and orthopaedic lecture topics to be found anywhere and on any other similarly titled course; arthritis, foot and ankle, gait and motion analysis, hand and wrist, biomechanics, hip and knee, paediatrics, imaging techniques, shoulder and elbow, trauma, wheelchairs and seating systems, spine, research, statistical analysis and many other associated specialities.
This programme is delivered by the Department of Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgery and the Institute of Motion Analysis & Research within the School of Medicine.
In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, to reflect the multi-disciplinary aspect of the research carried out at IMAR, where the majority of the MCh Orth projects are conducted, the respective staff were returned into Unit of Assessment 25 (General Engineering - Biomedical Engineering) and Unit of Assessment 8 (Primary Care and Other Community Based Clinical Subjects) where 90% and 85% of our quality profile was deemed of international class. This is an excellent outcome taking into consideration that IMAR was only established in 2003 in support of the MCh Orth course.
Many of our MCh Orth graduates have gone on to highly successful careers once returned to their own countries with many taking up new challenges and opportunities within the UK up to Consultant position. Several have published widely in journals and at conferences and have even gone onto Fellowships throughout Europe and employment in the UK.
This unique MCh Orth course offers a truly wide ranging curriculum that will help you to achieve your career goals no matter what your speciality. Our distinguished visiting lecturers are specialists at the forefront of innovative orthopaedics and continue to return each year to teach as they understand the value and benefit of this course to working surgeons. They care deeply about the course and what it has achieved over the last twenty years and without their support we would not have been able to be so successful.
Candidates must have obtained: MBChB or an equivalent qualification must normally possess a further postgraduate qualification (e.g. the Master of Surgery in Orthopaedics or Diploma of the National Board in Orthopaedics from India) or an equivalent postgraduate specialist qualification and normally at least four years' post registration in orthopaedic surgery Registration with the GMC is not required.
English Language Requirement
About the School
Our core mission at the University of Dundee is to transform lives, locally and globally, through the creation, sharing and application of knowledge.