Our interdisciplinary Master of Bioscience Engineering: Human Health Engineering programme (HHE) is dedicated to training the next generation of experts in human health engineering. As a student, you will develop a unique profile that transcends traditional disciplinary boundaries and combines knowledge of the biology of the healthy human body and mind with engineering skills. Upon graduation, you will have the knowledge and skills to develop novel creative technologies aimed at improving our quality of life.
What is the Master of Bioscience Engineering: Human Health Engineering all about?
HHE offers a unique program and educational vision focusing on technology for healthy humans. While many programs in biomedical technology are offered in Belgium and abroad, HHE is the first and only programme offered in English that applies the unique combination of human physiology and engineering in a broad range of areas for healthy humans.
The HHE curriculum is comprised of 120 ECTS (four semesters). The programme is organized into a two-module major, a minor, a master’s thesis and elective courses.
The first module (16 ECTS) contains four courses that will allow you to gain insight in the working of the different physiological systems of the human body as well as in the psychology of the healthy human.
The second module (41 ECTS) consists of eight engineering courses. In this module, you are challenged to gain insight in technology and apply your technical knowledge to solve real-life problems in a creative way via practical exercises and project work.
The major also includes a broadening course on religion and society (3 ECTS).
Minor, master's thesis, and electives
The 20 ECTS minor is comprised of courses chosen to either strengthen your major or to broaden your expertise in another domain.
In the master’s thesis (30 ECTS), you will further develop your ‘hands-on’ experience and learn to solve problems using the acquired skills.
The curriculum is rounded off with 10 ECTS of elective courses aimed at broadening your academic education. These credits may also be used to take strengthening elective courses to fill any gaps in educational background.
This programme structure allows for a high degree of personalization, which, in turn, ensures the best possible match for your interests or future career ambitions.
Application deadline for 2018-2019
- 1 March 2018 (for non-EEA citizens)
- 1 June 2018 (for EEA citizens)
KU Leuven uses an online application system. You can download and submit your application form via www.kuleuven.be/application. Students with a Flemish degree can consult www.kuleuven.be/studentenadministratie.
The tuition fee for 2018-2019 is € 922.3 for EEA citizens and € 6,000 for non-EEA citizens – with an exception for citizens from OECD/DAC recognized developing countries for whom the tuition fee is € 922.3.
Please consult the website for the most recent information: www.kuleuven.be/tuitionfees.
Are you looking to broaden your horizons? There are ample opportunities to conduct part of your master's thesis research at various partner institutions abroad. In addition, European residents can undertake their master's thesis research at a European or another partner university within the framework of the Erasmus+ programme. The Faculty also welcomes initiatives of students who want to do a work placement in a company or organization abroad, as well as exchange programmes with partner universities.
More information: www.biw.kuleuven.be/english/index.aspx
This is an initial master's programme and can be followed on a full-time or part-time basis.
Is this the right programme for me?
- You have basic scientific and technological knowledge and skills in the following areas: biology, chemistry, ecosystems, mathematics-physics, engineering.
- You are able to relate the knowledge gained in the bachelor's programme in a critical way to an application domain of your choice.
- You are trained to address problems both independently and in a team in a goal-oriented way (inventiveness, creativity, self-motivation and team spirit).
- You can recognize domain related problems and frame them in a social, ethical and economic context.
- You already have basic knowledge of and affinity with bio-engineering related technical courses such as biological basic knowledge, physical transport phenomena, mechanics of solids, electronic instrumentation, etc.
- You have acquired a solid basis in mathematics and physics and are able to use this in more application-oriented courses such as the engineering courses mentioned above, numerical analysis of biosystems and statistical data processing.
- You have mastered the basic principles of control systems-theoretic reasoning and are able to apply this too complex, technical and biological systems and their interaction processes.
As a HHE graduate, your polyvalent skill set will make you widely employable in the labor market, both within your own specialization and in other sectors. You will be equipped to take on scientific, technical, organizational and commercial-technical roles in many sectors. In addition, as a bio-engineer, you will rapidly evolve from supporting positions to management positions and this in different activities (research, production, and service, marketing, etc.), according to your interests and goals.
As a HHE expert, your contribution will be essential in numerous industrial sectors, including all professional domains linked to the well-being, health and performance of healthy humans in interaction with their environment. This includes:
- pharmaceutical industry
- clothing and fashion industry
- sport technology companies
- medical companies
- companies active in sleep comfort
- helmet producers
- producers of furniture
- transport industry (such as cars, buses, trains, and airplanes), etc.
In all of these business activities, the products of the future must be tuned to a better quality of life for humans. Furthermore, the aging population is in urgent need of more and better preventative healthcare services, including automated systems for monitoring and support. As a bio-engineer specialized in living systems, you will have the potential to create added value in all of these areas, with special attention to the central place of the healthy human in the development of sustainable technology.
- Advanced knowledge, insight, and skills with respect to the interaction processes between living organisms as biological systems with complex dynamic processes, and their biotic and abiotic environment, both at the fundamental and applied level, with attention for the actual developments and evolutions on the long term.
- Advanced system and application-oriented insight in multiscale concepts (nano-, micro- and macro scale), which allows to structure and model processes and systems, or can be applied to solve problems in a number of focus domains.
- System thinking: Ability to differentiate the interactions among different processes within an assignment, to define subprocesses and formulate a technical definition for these, and to enable a further detailed technical study.
- Independent integration and extension of acquired knowledge, aware of the personal competencies, aiming at new concepts and innovation of the application possibilities.
- Problem-oriented formulation and analysis of complex problems within the expertise domain, by dividing these into manageable subproblems and designing solutions for specific cases with attention to the application possibilities and broader conceptual impact.
- Independently conceive, plan and execute an engineering project at the level of a starting investigating professional. Conduct and critically interpret a literature search according to scientific standards, with attention to the conceptual context and the application potential.
- Use intradisciplinary and interdisciplinary insights to select, adapt or eventually develop advanced research, design and solution methods, and adequately apply these and scientifically process the obtained results; motivate the choices made based on the foundations of the discipline and the requirements of the application and business context.
- Act from a research attitude: creativity, accuracy, critical reflection, the motivation of choices on scientific grounds.
- Groundbreaking, innovative and application-oriented development of systems, products, services, and processes; extrapolation with attention for the business context. Extract new research questions from design problems.
- Control system complexity using quantitative methods. Have sufficient knowledge, insight, and experience in scientific research to critically evaluate the results.
- Act from an engineering attitude within a generic and discipline-specific context: result-oriented attitude, attention for planning and technical, economic and societal boundary conditions like sustainability, risk and feasibility assessment of the proposed approach or solution, focus on results and achievement of effective solutions, innovative and transdisciplinary thinking.
- Work using a project-based approach from a generic and disciplinary context: formulate goals, keep a focus on specific objectives and development route, operate as a member of an interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary team, develop leadership, operate in an international or intercultural environment, the report effectively.
- Have the economic and business insight to place the contribution to a processor the solution of a problem in a wider context.
- Weigh specifications and boundary conditions and transform them into a high-quality system, product or process. Extract useful information from incomplete, conflicting or redundant data.
- Communicate written and verbally about the own field in the language of instruction and in the languages that are relevant for the specialism.
- Communicate and present subject matters in fluent language and graphically to colleagues and laypersons.
- Act ethically, professionally and with social responsibility, with attention for technical, economic, human and sustainability aspects.
- Postgraduate Studies in Advanced Medical Imaging (Leuven)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 6, 2018