Combine fundamental disciplines such as stem cell biology, materials science and biomechanics with more applied disciplines such as cell therapy, implantations and imaging. New collaborations amongst these disciplines assist in innovation in fundamental life sciences research but also in new patient therapies and clinical applications with the ultimate goal to restore lost tissue or organ function. Sounds interesting? Join our programme!
Gain Deeper Insight Through a Unique Collaboration
Do you want to contribute to current and future health care applications? Join the rapidly emerging field of regenerative medicine! Become a multidisciplinary scientist and help stimulate research at the interface between biomedical sciences, engineering and clinical application.
Regenerative Medicine and Technology is a cooperation between Utrecht University, the University Medical Center Utrecht and the Faculty of Biomedical Engineering at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). The combined expertise, various state-of-the-art laboratories and research groups equip you with an understanding of processes ranging from specific cell culturing techniques, the use of biomaterials to computer models and imaging modalities.
Why you Should Study Regenerative Medicine and Technology at Utrecht University
- Learn to combine a technological (TU/e), clinical (UMC Utrecht) and biomedical (Utrecht University) point of view in multidisciplinary research projects;
- Worldwide partners allow you to do your internship at prestigious partner institutions such as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), King’s College London and the Karolinska Institute;
- Collaborate to address current health care problems with a multidisciplinary approach at our state-of-the-art Utrecht Regenerative Medicine Center;
- Take part in a lively research environment in academia, consultancy companies or industry during your six to nine-month internships;
- Take theoretical courses and seminars as well as master classes led by specialists in the field in both Eindhoven and Utrecht. The courses are interactive, and challenge students to further improve their communication, writing and presenting skills;
- Create your own personal Master’s programme by choosing and planning your electives and internship projects according to your ambitions and interest.
The planning of the programme is tailored to the individual. The choices that are made during planning can be based on your personal career focus. The most popular choice is to become a scientist in tissue or organ regeneration. In this case, you can choose to perform a research internship in your minor project.
You can choose other profiles besides the research profile in your minor projects, such as communication, education or management.
Depending on your personal interests and skills, you can shape your career yourself. If you already know which would be your ideal career, you can discuss with the programme coordinator how best to prepare for your specific career path.
If you choose to pursue an academic career, a logical step will be to start a PhD project after you obtain your Master’s degree. Our research projects during RMT will prepare you for science in the lab, but you will also be equipped to perform more translational research. After obtaining a PhD degree, you can choose to continue in academia or to continue your career elsewhere. Continuing in academia consists of doing post-doc work and becoming an assistant, associate, or full professor.
The most popular career choices of RMT alumni are listed below:
- PhD student in the RM PhD programme in Utrecht: several alumni are currently pursuing a PhD degree in Utrecht in the field of Regenerative Medicine.
- PhD student elsewhere: several alumni are following a PhD trajectory in their country of origin, in the lab that hosted them during the minor research project, or in yet another lab in the Netherlands or abroad.
- At various biomedical companies: as a product expert, clinical trial assistant, junior scientist, trainee or associate consultant.
About the School
Founded in 1636, Utrecht University is an esteemed international research university, consistently positioned number one in The Netherlands, 14th in continental Europe and the worldwide top 100 of int ... Read More