With evidence-based medicine setting new standards, highly trained academic specialists are needed for the design, data collection, analysis and interpretation of epidemiological and health research. Do you see yourself in a future career as an epidemiologist and clinical researcher? Join our program, sign up!
Applied Research at the Intersection of Data and Medicine
The Master’s program Epidemiology is an excellent opportunity if you have a strong interest in applied medical or biomedical research, as well as human or veterinary medicine. Examine the distribution and determinants of health and morbidity in specific populations. This scientific discipline is increasingly in demand in clinical research, industry, and policymaking.
The Master’s program in Epidemiology is also offered on the postgraduate level. Choose between face-to-face and online education, so students in various stages of their careers can opt for a suitable study program.
Why You Should Study Epidemiology at Utrecht University
- Learn to operate as an epidemiologist and clinical researcher in basic epidemiological and statistical courses and during your own research project.
- Choose your own specialization such as Clinical Epidemiology, Infectious Diseases Epidemiology, Pharmacoepidemiology, Medical Statistics, Environmental & Occupational Epidemiology or Veterinary Epidemiology. Grab the opportunity to enhance and broaden your knowledge through additional topic-specific courses, like Fundamentals in Global Health and Cardiovascular Epidemiology.
- Prepare for a career in research. We offer a true research Master's, with a practical approach to epidemiological research design. Starting from the clinical question instead of a theoretical approach is unique in the Netherlands as well as internationally.
- Study and work at Utrecht University, the University Medical Center Utrecht and the Julius Center, which is one of the most prestigious institutions worldwide in the field of clinical epidemiology and unique in its diversity.
- The Master’s program Epidemiology has intensive collaboration with research institutes throughout the world, allowing you to gain valuable experience abroad.
After graduation, students obtain an MSc degree in Biomedical Sciences, Epidemiology, which prepares them for a subsequent Ph.D. program or a career as an epidemiologist in settings such as academia, privately funded and governmental public health organizations, and human or veterinary medicine or industry, including pharmaceutical development.
- Clinical Epidemiology, Veterinary Epidemiology, and Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases focus on fundamental and applied epidemiological research in human and veterinary medicine, research, and consultancy. It offers advice in health and veterinary organizations or in business or pharmaceutical industries.
- Pharmacoepidemiology focuses on fundamental and applied research on drug benefits, risks, and utilization at universities and research institutes, in various health organizations or in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Environmental & Occupational Epidemiology focuses on research in environmental and occupational epidemiology in academic, privately funded or governmental health organizations.
Epidemiologists may enter positions in local, regional, and state health agencies where they address public health issues and are involved in research on the distribution and determinants of disease and disabilities. They can also obtain positions in health sciences research programs in hospitals, academic medical centers, or pharmaceutical companies.
Students that have successfully completed the Epidemiology Master’s degree stand a good chance of acquiring a Ph.D. position either in the Netherlands or abroad. Along with gaining an internationally accredited diploma, many students will have made valuable career contacts during their studies.
Facts & Figures
Graduates from this program have found jobs at:
- UMC Utrecht
- Utrecht University
- Danone Nutricia Research
- University of Liverpool
- UMC Groningen
- Wageningen University
- Sanquin Research
- Maastricht University
- Pallas Health Research and Consultancy
- GD Animal Health Centre
- Ghent University
- Dorcas Aid Health
About the School
Founded in 1636, Utrecht University is an esteemed international research university, consistently positioned number one in The Netherlands, 14th in continental Europe and the worldwide top 100 of int ... Read More