Why study MSc Biomedical Science -Haematology and Transfusion Science at Middlesex? Our Biomedical Science courses have a burgeoning international reputation, due to our world-class research in areas including biomarkers, public health and biomodelling. Our Centre for Investigative and Diagnostic Oncology has pioneered techniques for cancer diagnosis and treatment, and the Haematology department is very active in research into blood cancers, HIV and AIDS. Our course has a strong practical element, with an emphasis on developing laboratory skills and gaining hands-on experience of diagnostic techniques. Our teaching and research facilities surpass those at some UK medical schools, with £3 million specialist labs equipped with the most up-to-date technology- the perfect place to work on your own research project. You'll learn to use cutting-edge equipment, including MALDI-TOF mass spectrometers and flow cytometers; we have a molecular biology laboratory for techniques such as DNA sequencing, real-time PCR, electrophoresis and HPLC, fully-equipped proteomics facilities, a microbiology lab and an incredibly modern cell culture facility.
- Course leader Dr Colin Casimir is famed for his research into the biology of haemopoietic stem cells and gene therapy for hematologic conditions. He is the holder of a number of international patents, and his research has been published in top international journals, including the British Journal of Haematology.
- Other teaching staff include Dr Stephen Butler, a world expert on cancer biomarkers and reproductive biochemistry; Dr Ajit Shah, a former principal scientist at GlaxoSmithKline; and Dr Lucy Ghali, an expert in immunohistochemistry. Guest lecturers include Peter Gregory, the haematology services manager at Barnet and Chase Farm Hospitals Trust.
- Our staff are supportive and hands-on – ever-ready with advice on your studies, they're also known for their strong pastoral care and for going the extra mile for their students. All our teaching staff are involved in research.
- The course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science, so on graduation, you'll have fulfilled the academic requirement for Licentiate membership of the institute; you can apply for student membership while you study.
- We work with London hospitals and NHS laboratories to ensure you're fully versed in both the latest practice and the latest research. You'll visit diagnostic laboratories and of course, our location gives you easy access to the British Library, the Science Museum, the Royal Institution and more.
- As a student of this course, you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.