If you are working in a healthcare role that involves analysing health data, this MSc Health Data Science degree could accelerate you into one of the fastest-growing areas in the UK.
This course is designed to develop the essential skills and knowledge you’ll need as a Health Data Scientist. Our degree offers a strong emphasis on practical and analytical skills that you can apply in the workplace and could make you more employable. It is available as a one-year full time or three years part-time course.
Healthcare already has an established strong relationship with Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and is continuously expanding the knowledge forefront as new methods of acquiring data concerning the health of human beings are developed. On this course, you’ll learn how processing this data to extract valuable information about a population (epidemiological applications) has the potential to improve the quality of life on a large scale.
Why Study Health Data Science at Swansea University?
- 1st in the UK for Research Environment, 2nd in the UK for Research Quality – Research Framework (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
- Postgraduate students have access to facilities in the £100 million Institute of Life Science building.
- What Uni? Student Choice Award 2017 Winner – Postgraduate.
- The degree is available as either one-year full time or part-time over three years.
- Strong links with the NHS and organisations within the Life Science Sector.
- Strong collaborative links with colleagues from the Centre for Health Services Research of the University of Western Australia, a group of leading experts in the analysis of linked health data.
- Hands-on experiential learning from the professionals behind the Secure Anonymised Information Linkage (SAIL) Databank, a UK-exemplar project for the large scale mining of healthcare data within a secure environment.
Your Health Data Science Experience
Your degree experience will be enhanced by access to state of the art facilities based within our Centres for Excellence for Administrative Data and Health Research of Swansea University, awarded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and Medical Research Centre (MRC). This course is delivered in collaboration with high profile staff from the Centre for Health Services Research of the University of Western Australia.
Health Data Science Employment Opportunities
We have carefully designed the course to provide you with increased knowledge and understanding of Health Data Science, and the skills and aptitude you need to apply your learning to professional practice.
As such, this Master’s degree will give you an in-depth knowledge of the field to potentially enhance your prospects for career progression.
Careers and Employability
Swansea Employability Academy (SEA) will support you at each stage of your career journey helping you build a bright future.
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs.
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers.
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities.
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics.
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
We also provide help and advice for Swansea University Alumni up to two years after you graduate.
Swansea University was named University of the Year in the 2019 Whatuni Student Choice Awards for the second time in five years. As well as being crowned University of the Year, Swansea University took the top spot in the International category and placed top three in the Postgraduate, and Course and Lecturers categories. The Whatuni Student Choice Awards are voted for entirely by students, with more than 41,000 reviews and comments submitted from more than 160 UK institutions.
In the prestigious Guardian University Guide 2021, we are placed 24th in the UK and have won the Welsh University of the Year title for the second time in three years, cementing our position as Wales’ leading higher education institution.
We place our students at the heart of everything. As a result, we achieved a gold rating, the highest rating possible, in the national Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework (TEF) and are ranked 6th in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey for 2020.
Our stunning waterfront campuses make us a desirable location for students and staff from around the world, and our multicultural community provides a global perspective, enabling those who join us to develop skills and knowledge that set them on successful and enriching careers.
About the School
Swansea University is a research-led university that has been making a difference since 1920. The University community thrives on exploration and discovery, and offers the right balance of excellent t ... Read More