The degree of Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering (MSc in BMED) is awarded for successfully completing the requirements of a program of study which includes taught courses as well as a thesis. The thesis is an independent investigation of specialized areas within the general field of Biomedical Engineering. The MSc in BMED gives candidates the opportunity to deepen their knowledge in the broad fields of BME (Biomedical Engineering) and contributes to the process of discovery and knowledge creation through the conduct of original research.
Candidates for this degree are taught and supervised by experienced faculty and are expected to demonstrate initiative in their approach and innovation in their work. In addition to successfully completing the taught course component of the program, candidates prepare and present a thesis on their chosen area. Research may be undertaken in several topics corresponding to the areas of focus identified by the University.
The educational goals (objectives) of the MSc Biomedical Engineering program are to produce graduates who:
- Are able to apply their training on the interface of engineering, medicine, and science in an ethical, creative, and innovative manner to solve problems related to health and healthcare that are locally and globally relevant.
- Are recognized as leaders in their respective careers in biomedical engineering in industry, hospitals, and clinical practice, government, and academia.
- Engage in life-long learning by continuing their education in graduate or professional schools or through career development and professional training.
Student learning outcomes
A student graduating with the M.Sc. in Biomedical Engineering will be able to:
- Identify, formulate, and solve advanced biomedical engineering and science problems and apply current engineering and science tools and techniques.
- Conduct interdisciplinary research; design and conduct experiments, manage, analyze, interpret data and disseminate research results.
- Function in team environments and communicate effectively with engineering, medical and science stakeholders and communities.
- Acquire knowledge of contemporary issues in the fields of biomedical engineering, science, and medicine and develop an aptitude for innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Understand and apply professional and ethical standards in local and global frameworks.
Overall structure and requirements
The M.Sc. in Biomedical Engineering (BMED) program consists of a minimum of 36 credit hours. The required program credits are distributed as follows: 12 credits of Program Core courses, 12 credits of Program Elective courses, and 12 credits of BMED Master’s Thesis work. The table below presents a summary of the M.Sc. in BMED degree program structure and requirements. All the M.Sc. in BMED program courses, with the exception of the Seminar in Research Methods and the Master’s Thesis, have a credit rating of three credits each.
Summary of M.Sc. in BMED Degree Program Structure and Requirements
|Seminar in Research Methods||0|
|BMED Master’s Thesis||12|
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 out of 4.0, or equivalent (e.g. upper second-class honors in a UK-style degree, from a reputable accredited institution).
- A minimum level of English proficiency in the form of either:
- iBT TOEFL (internet-based test) score of 91 or equivalent, or
- Overall academic IELTS score of 6.5, or
- 1550 EmSAT English score.
- A minimum quantitative score of 150 in the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for admission to all programs, with the exception of Master of Engineering in Health, Safety and Environment Engineering and the Master of Arts in International and Civil Security, where a minimum threshold is not set. Applicants for all programs should attempt all three sections of the GRE.
- A minimum of two referee recommendations (provided via online form).
- Statement of purpose (500-1,000 words).
- Admission interview.
About the School
The internationally top-ranked Khalifa University is the one university in the UAE with the research and academic programs that address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challen ... Read More