The STEM-designated Medical Product Quality degree is designed for students with a background in biological, pharmaceutical and biomedical sciences and biomedical engineering. The goal of the program is to train students in the theory behind current and future regulations which impact product quality and to provide real-life practical tools they will use in their industry careers.
Professionals working in quality assurance and quality control are responsible for the testing and oversight required to ensure the safety of healthcare products. Students learn about the regulations and guidelines that ensure the quality of drugs, biologics and medical devices in the US and internationally, and how to apply this knowledge in the ever-expanding field of medical product development and manufacturing. They develop an understanding of the basic principles essential for the interpretation and implementation of quality practices and quality systems.
Courses are offered on weekends to accommodate working professionals and can be attended online for those looking to complete their studies from outside of the Los Angeles area. Students set their own pace, taking as many courses as they wish to take each semester.
Career support is offered to all students and alumni, including recruitment events, career fairs and regular distribution of job postings from companies nationally and internationally. Recruiters are aware of the reputation of our alumni and are eager to hire our graduates.
Master of Science Admissions
To apply to our Master of Science programs, you must:
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 from an accredited college or university.*
- Submit two letters of recommendation from professionals or professors familiar with your capabilities and achievements.
- Submit your most up-to-date resume.
- Submit a personal statement that addresses your interest in the degree.
- English Proficiency: If your bachelor’s degree was earned in a non-English speaking country and you are not a US citizen or permanent resident, you need to submit scores from an official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Please note that even if you are from an English-speaking country, you may still need to submit scores. We require that you have verification of the following scores within two years of your intended enrollment:
- An Internet-Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 100 with no less than 20 on each sub-score; or
- An IELTS of 7 with no less than 6 on each band score.
MS in Medical Product Quality | Curriculum and Requirements
The USC MS in Medical Product Quality degree requires the satisfactory completion of 32 units beyond the baccalaureate degree. The core curriculum includes courses that focus on basic regulatory frameworks, quality assurance, risk management, statistics, and project management, as well as elective options. Hands-on experience is encouraged through the participation in academic and industry internships, or the TRAQS program.
All of the courses offered by the Department of Regulatory and Quality Science can be taken either in-person or online (within the United States). Upon admission, we will work with you to develop a course plan that fits your needs.
MPTX 511: Introduction to Medical Product Regulation
Quality Assurance (Choose at least 4)
RSCI 506: Auditing Principles
RSCI 508: Quality Assurance for Drugs and Biologics
RSCI 509: Quality Assurance for Medical Devices & Combination Products
MPTX 515: Quality Systems & Standards
MPTX 517: Structure & Management of Clinical Trials
MPTX 526: Chemistry Manufacturing and Control
Risk Management (Choose at least 1)
RSCI 520: Introduction to Risk Management for Health Care Products
RSCI 527: Medical Product Safety
RSCI 507: Quality Systems & Statistical Process Control
RSCI 603: Managing Complex Projects
Any remaining units can be filled with elective coursework chosen from the courses offered by the Department of Regulatory and Quality Sciences.
In order to graduate with a Master of Science degree in Medical Product Quality you must have completed:
- At least 32 units of required and elective courses
- Obtained a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
- Maintain continuous enrollment during all fall and spring semesters
- Complete the degree within five years