Passion for Health
For you, a job in healthcare management is much more than just one career option among many. You have a passion for health. You possess a deep and earnest desire to commit your entire professional life to:
- Improving cost-effective health services.
- Expanding patients’ access to essential care and state-of-the-art treatments.
- Promoting disease prevention and healthy behaviors.
- Ensuring healthcare personnel, systems and facilities increasingly enhance the quality of life.
Canadian healthcare leader
We share your passion. For more than 45 years, the Telfer School of Management has played a vital role in Canadian health care by preparing talented men and women to assume leadership positions in all areas and at all levels of our country’s ever-changing, increasingly complex healthcare system.
What We Offer
All Telfer MHA students quickly find meaningful, rewarding jobs after graduation. The reason behind their immediate career success is straightforward. The Telfer MHA:
- Provides our graduates with a solid grounding in key areas of business management.
- Prepares them to tackle the challenges inherent in modern healthcare systems.
- Enables them to apply the skills they have learned in academic training to a four-month administrative residency in one of more than 90 dynamic healthcare settings.
Gain knowledge of key areas of business management
The Telfer MHA arms you with the knowledge and skills you need at the tactical level (setting budgets, managing teams, allocating resources) and the strategic level (setting direction, managing change, spurring innovation). All are vital aspects of work in the public and private sectors of healthcare.
Learn skills to tackle the distinctive challenges of modern healthcare
Healthcare is different from other industry sectors. The bottom line in this field is not based solely on profits and losses but primarily on the quality and safety of patient care and the success of health outcomes from preventative treatments to long-term care. The Telfer MHA equips you with the vital skills you need to take on the distinctive challenges of this unique field:
- Integrating health services.
- Managing cost-effective delivery of quality health services.
- Improving service accessibility and reducing wait times.
- Mitigating the effects of professional shortages.
- Driving innovation and change in health systems and strategies.
- Leading teams of diverse health professionals in pursuit of your shared goal—improving the quality and safety of patient care.
Get on-the-job training and real-world experience
The most distinctive feature of the Telfer MHA is the exclusive administrative residency. Taking place in your final academic session, your four-month residency gives you an extraordinary opportunity to put into practice your business- and health-management knowledge and skills.
Flexible program delivery options, advanced qualifications, unique learning opportunities
The Telfer MHA also enables you to:
- Choose from two flexible program delivery options tailored to fit your schedule.
- Earn the advanced qualifications you need to carry out sophisticated research in health services and policies.
- Experience learning opportunities that take you beyond the classroom.
Seize the opportunity. Start your rewarding career right away. Choose the Telfer MHA.
Program Delivery Options That Fit Your Needs
Not all Telfer MHA students are the same. Most want to launch their careers in healthcare. Some require a graduate degree in health management to open the door to a rewarding career shift. While others possess clinical training as health professionals and wish to accelerate their career advancement or gain additional professional knowledge and skills to apply for their current positions. Whatever your career ambition, the Telfer MHA has a program delivery option for you.
This option is perfect for students who wish to quickly transition their careers to health management. As a full-time student, you will complete the program coursework in 12 months and then begin your four-month administrative residency, enabling you to hit the ground running in a health-management position in only 16 months. You will register for a combination of day, evening and intensive courses. Be prepared to devote 15 hours per week to classroom requirements and twice that time to individual and group work and study outside the classroom.
Working-professional part-time option
This option is the ideal choice for experienced working professionals who wish to enhance their skills quickly and thoroughly. As a part-time student, you will complete the program coursework and your four-month full-time administrative residency in only 28 months. Some courses will be delivered according to an intensive schedule and will be delivered as a combination of classes offered during a weekday (day or evening), and weekend (day or evening) over a short period (one to three weeks). This will require that you free yourself up from work to attend class (the equivalent of around 11 days (full day or half day) over the program duration). Be prepared to devote six to 12 hours per week to individual and group work and study outside the classroom.
Spend four months in a dynamic healthcare setting. Work with officials to make and carry out crucial decisions. Complete valuable projects that help you advance your career goals. Experience the day-to-day life of an executive in the healthcare system. It’s all part of the Telfer MHA administrative residency—an exclusive feature of the Telfer MHA. Taking place in your final academic session, your four-month residency gives you an extraordinary opportunity to work closely with top Canadian healthcare leaders and put into practice your business- and health-management knowledge and skills. Here’s how it works:
When you begin your studies, you will consult with select Telfer School faculty members and Executives in Residence. These highly experienced, well-connected professionals will help you clarify your career goals and residency objectives, and determine the residency placement that is best for you. A residency timeline is also available to help you anticipate key residency milestones.
A wealth of choices
We have partnered with more than 90 renowned healthcare organizations. These are local, provincial and national agencies that capture the vast range and variety of healthcare: research facilities; public, private and not-for-profit organizations; health ministries and regulatory and administrative offices; and large teaching hospitals, community hospitals, primary-care institutions and other community-based settings. Whatever your focus and career interest, the Telfer MHA has a partnership that will suit your needs.
Support from healthcare experts
When you’ve chosen your residency organization, you’ll be matched with a leading executive at this health care institution. Known as preceptors, these top executives not only supervise the administrative residencies of Telfer MHA students, they also serve as mentors, providing you with valuable professional and career advice during your residency and beyond. Put your education into action. Learn from leaders. Choose the Telfer MHA.
You must meet the following four criteria to be considered for admission to the Telfer MHA:
- Possess a baccalaureate degree from a Canadian school or its equivalent from a school outside of Canada and achieve a minimum standing of B or 70 percent. All post-secondary studies are considered at the time of admission, with the most recent studies being considered in the first instance. A limited number of candidates may be considered for admission if they do not hold a university degree or do not meet the minimum academic requirements. These potential candidates must have significant managerial or professional training and experience (at least 10 years), and demonstrate strong evidence of substantial management responsibilities and steady career progression during this time.
- A minimum of three years of full-time managerial or professional work experience. Part-time and summer jobs and co-op placements do not count toward this number but are considered favorably during file evaluation.
- Achieve a competitive score in the Graduate Management Admission Test or the Graduate Record Examination.
- Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in English.
Mandatory Admission Tests
The MHA program offered in English requires a competitive score in the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The GMAT or the GRE is mandatory for both the Intensive and Professional MHA programs and cannot be waived.
- GMAT An overall score of at least the 50th percentile is required with a minimum of the 45th percentile in verbal and quantitative. Last year’s average score was 611 and the range 550-780.
- GRE (General Test) A minimum overall score of 310 with at least the 45th percentile in verbal and 40th in quantitative. N.B. GRE Subject Tests will not be accepted.
English proficiency is mandatory
All Telfer MHA candidates whose first language is neither English nor French must submit to the Telfer Graduate Office one of the following to demonstrate their proficiency in English:
- Proof of completion within the last five years, of a previous degree program in an English language university.
- Proof of recent prolonged residence and exercise of a profession in an English speaking
- country (normally at least four years over the last six years)
- A score of at least 100 (Internet-based) or 250 (computer-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- A score of at least 7 in at least three of the four Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) tests (Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking) and at least 6 in the fourth. The General Training IELTS test is not accepted.
- A score of at least 14 on the CANTEST, administered by the University of Ottawa, with
- no individual test score below 4.0, along with a score of 4.5 on the oral component of the test.
- A score of at least 68 on the Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE Academic)
With respect to test scores, they cannot be more than two years old as of September 1 of the year of potential entry into the Telfer MHA.
About the School
The world is changing. And so is the world of business. At the Telfer School of Management at the University of Ottawa, we’ve understood that what matters goes beyond what you can count. We strive to ... Read More