Prepare your body and mind for birth with research-based advice and learn effective strategies for coping with labour.
Make your birthing experience as safe and comfortable as possible
Giving birth is one of the most normal events in life, but many women don’t have trustworthy, evidence-based information to rely on.
On this course, you’ll be guided through the latest stages of pregnancy to the birth itself so that you can lower your stress-levels and anxiousness around labour.
You’ll learn how to detect the early stages of labour and learn coping strategies to manage through to advanced labour without undue stress.
You’ll also be advised on diet and exercise prior to giving birth as you learn the importance of preparing your body and mind for the birthing process.
What topics will you cover?
- Planning your birth.
- Managing early labour.
- Coping with labour.
- Birthing your baby.
- Staying positive.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Reflect on how to make informed decisions about labour and birth.
- Explain how labour starts, how to manage early labour and how to cope with more advanced labour without undue stress.
- Develop coping strategies to help during labour.
- Reflect on the benefits of optimal exercise and eating a healthy and balanced diet.
- Explore and manage feelings of worry and nervousness around the birth process.
- Identify ways of accessing further information on different stages of labour and birth.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for pregnant women, particularly those who are expecting their first baby. The course will also be useful for partners of pregnant women or women who are planning a pregnancy.
Who developed the course?
Trinity College Dublin
Founded in 1592, Trinity College Dublin is Ireland’s highest-ranked university. It promotes a diverse, interdisciplinary environment to nurture ground-breaking research, innovation, and creativity.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.