Health Information Management Associate’s Degree
Securing your Future While Protecting Patient Data
American National University's Health Information Management Program (H.I.M.) is designed to provide the knowledge and skills to enable the graduate to manage patient's medical data and by making it available for the healthcare provider. H.I.M. professionals affect the quality of patient information and patient care at each point of patient interaction; they are focused on the technical side of managing health information, working with electronic records, and software programs. The following are the domains of the profession:
Health Data Management
- Health data structure, content, and standards
- Healthcare information requirements
- Clinical classification systems
- Reimbursement methodologies
Health Statistics Biomedical Research and Quality Management
- Healthcare statistics research
- Quality management
- Performance improvement
Health Services Organization and Delivery
- Healthcare delivery systems
- Healthcare privacy, confidentiality, legal, and ethical issues
Information Technology and Systems
- Information and communication technologies
- Data, information and files structures
- Data storage and retrieval
- Data security
- Human resources
- Financial and resource management
Your Learning Experience
Program core courses are:
- Diseases of the Human Body
- The Microsoft® Office
- Introduction and Foundations of Health Information Technology
- Health Care Statistics
- Medical Law and HIPAA
- Information Systems and Technology
- Clinical Classification Systems I
- Clinical Classification Systems II
- Introduction to Procedural Coding
- Procedural Coding II
- Reimbursement Methodologies
- Healthcare Management
- RHIT Exam Success Class
- Externship - Health Information Technician
- Terminology of Body Systems
- Terminology of Body Support
- A&P: Systems of Transport and Support
- A&P: Body Control Systems
Why Health Information Management Students Turn To American National University:
- Convenience and flexibility – day and evening course schedules to fit your life.
- Small class sizes – allowing for one-on-one interaction with instructors.
- Industry experienced instructors – bringing their industry skills and work experience to class.
- Peer tutoring – providing one-on-one help at no additional cost.
- Training in modern computer labs – simulating real work experiences.
- Externship placement as part of the Health Information Management program – enabling students to build career experience.
- Career services – helping with career advice and resources needed for today's job search environment.
Refresher courses are available to all our graduates – keeping skills in their field of study sharp and current at no additional tuition costs.
*The Health Information Management program offered at the Youngstown, OH, Louisville, KY, Columbus, OH, Dayton, OH, Indianapolis, IN, Madison, TN, and Memphis, TN is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management (CAHIIM) Education.
Graduates of the Health Information Management program offered at the Youngstown, OH, Louisville, KY, Columbus, OH, Dayton, OH, Indianapolis, IN, Madison, TN, and Memphis, TN campuses are eligible to sit for the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) examination.
Cost & Disclosure Information:
NOTE: This program is offered 100% Online through ANU university in many States. Please chat with Admissions to learn more about program availability in your State.
About the School
In 1886, a group of visionary educators and business leaders saw the need for a higher education institution focused on career-based training to meet workforce needs in the southeastern United States. ... Read More