Health Care Aide Certificate
As our population ages, there are few careers as important – or fast growing – as health care. As a health care aide, you will become an important part of a caring group of individuals vital to the health care system. You will care for individuals in institutions and their homes, enhancing and improving their quality of life.
This 4-month (1 semester) full-time program focuses on developing the core skills needed to care for clients in the health care field. Topics include personal care, assisting with mobility and feeding needs, communication, assisting with medication delivery, and clinical skills. Program delivery combines traditional classroom learning, labs, and clinical instruction in long-term care, acute care and community/home care settings.
Employment turnover is expected to increase as members of the baby boom generation retire over the next few years, and the population ages requiring more Health Care Aides.
4 months (1 semester)
- Credit in English 10-1 or 10-2 or equivalent
- Successful completion of the General Equivalency Development test (GED) with a standard score of 450 in Language Arts: Reading and Writing
- Satisfactory results on the BVC Admissions Test
English Language Proficiency Requirement
- See English Language Proficiency Requirements for details.
- A current Police Information Check (PIC) with Vulnerable Sector Search (VSS) must be submitted prior to practicum placement.
- Immunization requirements
- A current CPR Healthcare Provider Level Certificate is recommended and often required by employers.
Bow Valley College has a number of transfer agreements in place with other leading Canadian colleges and universities.
Learners will be required to travel to various locations in order to complete their practicum placements. Every effort is made to accommodate learners in placements within the time frame of the program, however in rare instances there may be a delay in program completion until a placement can be arranged.
This school offers programs in: