- Respond effectively to mental health challenges in your community.
- Learn from leading, clinically active mental health academics.
- Work across a diverse range of healthcare fields.
- 100% online study; no on-campus commitments.
- Duration: 16 months, part-time
- Advanced standing: Call us to see if you qualify
- Study periods: January, March, April, July, September, November
- Fees: $2300 per unit
- Units: 8
Develop the right skills to provide effective mental health care
By completing Southern Cross University’s online Graduate Diploma of Mental Health course, you gain expert knowledge in mental health and psychiatry, while building the skills needed to confidently respond to patients experiencing mild, moderate and severe mental health challenges.
Developed with the latest industry standards in mind, this program prepares you to work within a range of health settings and disciplines. You will access current and clinically relevant, evidence-based knowledge and learn from leading and clinically active mental health academics from the internationally recognised School of Health and Human Sciences.
- With a growing need for professionals who understand the complexities of mental health, this postgraduate diploma will put you in good stead for a rewarding future in this field.
- Provide effective care through your enhanced understanding of mental health and specialised skills.
- Gain knowledge to work across a broad range of public and private healthcare settings.
- Access an interactive and responsive learning platform, enabling fluid communication between students and academics.
- Ongoing support throughout your study journey from a dedicated Student Success Advisor.
To qualify for entry into the Graduate Diploma, all applicants must:
- have successfully completed a minimum three (3) year Bachelor qualification, or equivalent, in health, psychology or social science-related discipline, and
- be proficient in English.
If you are a registered nurse, you could also be eligible for the Graduate Diploma of Mental Health (Nursing).
What you will study
The units that form part of the online postgraduate courses in mental health have been designed to develop the skills required to effectively respond to challenges across a diverse range of mental health fields.
You will learn to enhance your own practice, with the most up-to-date and clinically relevant knowledge embedded throughout the coursework.
Complete all eight units:
- Acute Mental Health
- Appraising Evidence
- Contemporary Mental Health
- Healthcare Professional Portfolio A
- Mental Health Across the Lifespan
- Mental Health in Community, Non-government and Private Settings
- Physical Healthcare in Mental Health
- Supporting Behaviour Change in Mental Health
Flexible exit options
You can enter into the Graduate Diploma, and if you need to exit early – if home or work demands your full attention – you could still receive a postgraduate qualification based on the units you’ve completed.
The best part? Everything you complete will be credited towards your online Master's degree in mental health, should you choose to finish it off at a later stage.