The online version of this program is available to domestic students only (program code: RRM1).
The in-class version of this program is offered at Fanshawe's new London South Campus starting September 2019 (program code: RRM1B)
They are the elders who teach us. The voices of our history. The link to our past. And it's our responsibility to listen, nurture and provide a safe, caring environment so they can continue to be productive and inspiring.
Managing a retirement residence requires a dynamic set of flexible skills, leadership, and strong ethics. Fanshawe's Retirement Residence Management program will propel you to the forefront of this ever-expanding field. By 2030, more than a quarter of Canadians will be over the age of 65, and the retirement they want is one you can help give them. You'll enhance your critical thinking skills, your ability to deliver effective service and to market retirement living. You'll also learn the latest motivational techniques in leadership.
With your undergraduate degree or diploma under your belt, this intensive and unique program will cap off your skills with mentoring in the workplace. You'll learn how to lead a team of professionals who have the same goal – to provide seniors with the opportunity to live independent and active lifestyles.
The skills you'll learn are in demand, and that demand is growing as the population ages. They've raised us. They've helped us. It's time to give back.
A Two- or Three-Year College Diploma, or a Degree
An acceptable combination of related work experience and post-secondary education as judged by the College to be equivalent to the above*
*Applicants may be required to submit a resume and cover letter that includes details of work experience.
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 570 for the paper-based test (PBT), or 88 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years. SDS Program Requirements.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 59, with test results within the last two years.
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 176 with no language skill less than 169, with test results within the last two years.
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years.
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9 or 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10.
Recommended Personal Preparation
- Familiarity with the Retirement Residence Industry in Ontario.
Applicant Selection CriteriaWhere the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario.
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full).
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements.
Prior to being in the Retirement Residence Management program for both MGMT-6076 and MGMT- 6077, you will be required to submit the following documents:
- 2 step TB test completed independently
- Vulnerable Sector Police Check
As the documents can be time-sensitive, students are encouraged to start the process as soon as they have been accepted to the program.
|SFTY-1067||Food Safety, Smart Serve & First Aid||1|
|RECN-6002||Recreation & Leisure for Retirement||3|
|MKTG-6026||Marketing for Retirement||3|
|FINA-6024||Financial Mgmt for Retirement||4|
|LAWS-6040||Legislation for Retirement||3|
Retirement Residence Managers foster a team of professionals responsible for the following departments: Foodservice, Wellness, Recreational Activities, Sales and Marketing, Facilities and Maintenance. Before graduating to seek employment in the growing Retirement Residence Industry, students will complete two experiential learning components in a Retirement facility.
About the School
Fanshawe College is a large, publicly-funded College located in London, Ontario, Canada – approximately a two-hour drive from Toronto and Niagara Falls. There are 21,000 full-time students, including ... Read More