This Summer School is organized by the University of Pisa as a part of a project funded by the European Commission “Born Together” with the support of the IRCCS Fondazione Stella Maris and of the European Academy of Childhood Disability (EACD). The 5-day course is a practical and immersive experience, covering the models, the procedures and instruments that are recommended internationally to plan and conduct clinical and research activities for Early Detection, surveillance and intervention in children at risk for Cerebral Palsy (CP). It will be based on international guidelines, effective models of knowledge translation, and guided by good clinical and human ethics practice. The course faculty will be constituted of international experts in the field of childhood disability research and clinical care.
The 5-day course will be divided in:
- Morning: theoretical teaching organized in lectures covering theoretical frameworks and models.
- Afternoon: practical training in which participants will be directly involved to practice the design and the planning of care pathways and the elaboration of joint research and clinical activities.
Meet the expert sessions (morning and/or evening): personal experience sharing by international caliber professionals in the field of childhood disability
The aims of the Summer School are:
- To raise awareness of the participants about the practical pathways for the implementation of Early diagnosis and Intervention guidelines of CP as feasible, sustainable and culturally modified for different environments;
- To elevate the participants’ knowledge of the surveillance and early intervention methods and models iii) to promote international collaboration for the advancement of early care and parallel research efforts with children at risk of CP and their families.
At the end of the course the participants:
- Will be familiar with the recommended methods of early detection (ED), early surveillance (ES), and early intervention (EI) of CP;
- Will have the tools to develop and promote a care pathway for early ED of CP;
- Will be aware of the specific challenges related to conducting clinical care and research with children at high risk of CP and their families and be equipped to anticipate and overcome them;
- Will be able to integrate the newly acquired knowledge to advance their practice clinical and research career;
- Will be familiar with the international ED, ES, and EI methods, differences, and similarities in different socio-economic contexts;
- Will be able to build on their knowledge to foster regional and international partnerships.
Who can apply
- Young clinicians and researchers (aged less than 35 years, not turned at the beginning of the school) working in the disciplines related to rehabilitation of childhood disabilities with interest in performing research in this field;
- Education: Medical Doctors (specialists or residents in child neurology, child psychiatry rehabilitation medicine or pediatrics) or o Master degrees in allied disciplines dealing with childhood disabilities (such as physical, occupational, speech therapy, psychology, special education, and other disciplines);
- Ph.D. or at least two publications in international peer-reviewed journals or one as the first author;
- Living and working in a European country;
- Position -even if not permanent- in an academic or clinical institution involved in research/clinical activity, supported by a letter of presentation of the responsible of the institution;
- Fluency in written and spoken English (equivalence of B2 or higher).
For the SELECTION, a maximum of 32 participants will be selected based on Curriculum Vitae (CV) and the above criteria.
The CV should address the above-mentioned criteria.
A motivation letter and a letter of support from the supervisor to follow this course should be presented.
Preference will be for the maximum of 3 participants per each country and to include at least 8 participants out of the 32 from lower economic income countries of Europe (based on the GNI: nominal per capita less than $20.000).
For candidates who will obtain identical scores for the CV and the above criteria, preference will be given according to the date of application.
The selection of participants based on the above criteria will be made by the a joint committee of members from the EACD and the University of Pisa.
The committee includes also two members of the University of Pisa. After a first selection based on provided data, a selection interview will be decisive.
Applicants are required to present:
- A CV according to points illustrated in the "Who can apply" paragraph;
- A motivation letter (as indicated above);
- a letter of support (as indicated above).
- Identity Document (*PASSPORT in case you are a foreign student*)
- Enrolment Form
- CV according to points illustrated in the "Who can apply" paragraph
- Motivation letter (At the bottom of your motivation letter please indicate if you would like to have the accommodations at a university residence (Residence Le Benedettine) in a double room with another participant of the Summer School. Otherwise, you may take care of booking own accommodations)
- Letter of support
All the documents must be in pdf format, in order to upload them on the portal when required (See the "How to apply" page)
(fees 250, accommodation with breakfast 250)
At the bottom of your motivation letter please indicate if you would like to have the accommodations at a university residence (Residence Le Benedettine) in a double room with another participant of the Summer School. Otherwise, you may take care of booking own accommodations.
A bursary request letter can be sent together with the application.
The bursary may cover registration and accommodations in a double room with breakfast (500 euro).
Applicants will be informed of the acceptance of the bursary, together with the acceptance of their application to the summer school.
Please write to the coordinator for further details.
6 - 10 July 2020
1 April 2020
About the School
The University of Pisa is a public institution boasting twenty departments, with high level research centres in the sectors of agriculture, astrophysics, computer science, engineering, medicine and ve ... Read More