Doctor of Dental Medicine 5-years DMD programme
The curriculum of the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry consists of five years of medical and dental courses. Upon successful completion of the course, the student is entitled to receive a DMD diploma (“LEKARZ-DENTYSTA” title).
The first two years deliver with knowledge from basic, preclinical disciplines with an introduction to clinical sciences. The following three years focus on dental disciplines and clinical studies. The duration of the program is 10 semesters, with a total number of 5 000 hours of lectures and practical classes.
Each year awards 60 ECTS points.
A new system of education, so-called outcome-based, has been implemented at PMU.
Learning outcomes are statements of what a student is expected to know, understand and/or be able to demonstrate after completion of a process of learning.
The outcomes are based on the following essential elements of a competent and reflective practitioner:
- what does the student know (demonstrating evidence of knowledge, assessing comprehension, assessing the application, assessing analysis and synthesis).
- what the student is able to do (practical skills ).
- the student as a professional (competences - a dynamic combination of attributes, abilities, and attitudes).
These three primary elements give rise to seven domains, which student will have to master during 4 academic years:
- morphological sciences.
- the scientific basis of medicine.
- preclinical sciences.
- behavioral sciences with elements of professionalism.
- clinical sciences in general medicine.
- clinical sciences in dentistry.
- the legal and organizational basis of medicine.
The fifth academic year (ninth and tenth semester) will comprise 30 weeks of practical training in the following fields of dentistry:
- Conservative Dentistry
- Dental Surgery
- Periodontal and Mucous Membrane Diseases
- Maxillo-facial Surgery
- Integrated Paedodontics
- Integrated Conservative Dentistry
The academic year starts on October 1st and finishes on June 30th. It includes two semesters: winter semester (beginning in October and finishing in January) and spring semester (beginning in February and finishing by the end of June).
Examination sessions are in January/February and in June/July.
The students have one week of a semester break. During the winter semester, there are two weeks of Christmas holidays and one week of Easter holidays during the spring semester.
Each September all prospective students have the possibility to improve their knowledge in chemistry, physics, and biology during the pre-courses organized by the University.
The newcomers each year are welcome by the English Program Students‘ Parliament.
About the School
Pomeranian Medical University in Szczecin is a public (State-owned) university with full-time, intramural system of study. The level of qualification held: master’s degree program; diploma of higher e ... Read More