Educational Program in Dentistry is focused on training of highly qualified specialists equipped with university education, basic and clinical theoretical knowledge in dentistry, practical skills, and high moral standards. It strives for the establishment and development of skills necessary for professional activity.
In light of the aforementioned, the goal of the program is:
- Acquirement of the university education in conformity with the modern requirements;
- Knowledge of the basic sciences;
- Knowledge of behavioral and social sciences;
- In-depth learning of the special clinical disciplines required for professional development, in conformity with the educational and modern standards;
- Mastering contemporary techniques of specific dental aid and development of clinical, diagnostic and therapeutic skills;
- development of the skills required for the obtainment of medical information, critical assessment, analysis and synthesis and making grounded conclusions to solve a clinical problem;
- acquirement of general clinical skills within the competence of a dentist with the purpose of providing quality first aid and reanimation measures;
- formation and development of skills essential for carrying out practical activities at the primary medical and clinical-diagnostic therapeutic institutions within the competence;
- to ensure respect to a patient and consideration of his/her interests regardless of his/her social, cultural, religious or ethnical background;
- development of the skill of effective communication with patients and colleagues within the medical context;
- knowledge of the medications required for dental activity and the principles for their prescription;
- Awareness of the public healthcare system and realization of the role of a dentist within this system;
- Knowledge of ethical and legal principles;
- Motivation for life-long medical education and professional development.
Methods of achieving the outcomes of the study (methodology of study)
The process of study is based on the modern methods of teaching with a special focus on the application of methods like interactive lectures, case analysis, individual and group presentations, and seminars based on the real theoretical and clinical cases and materials.
The goals and tasks of the study defined within the educational program are achieved through a cycle of theoretical and practical sessions.
The purpose of the theoretical sessions is to review basic topics of the educational program in theoretical perspective and provide students with mandatory literature and information on the methodological foundations of the discipline under study.
The purpose of the practice sessions is to help the student enhance obtained theoretical knowledge; appropriately comprehend the essence and significance of the issue under study and identify the capacities for its practical application; develop skills for objective analyses and assessment of the factors influencing the preparation and approval of the decisions with respect to the subjects, also skills to be used for practical activities and independent work.
During the training process, particular attention is paid to using active methods of teaching.
Study, training, and evaluation
Integration of theoretical and practical training and development of clinical skills at a virtual simulation center (for the first and second-year students) and in the clinic environment (for senior students) are the essential precondition for training. The university should give preferences to new technologies during the training process. The training is carried out with the application of the following methods:
Discussion/debates methods, the cooperative training, case-study, the demonstrative method, and the explanatory method. It is necessary to apply simulants and molds. Upon completing the educational program, the graduates shall be able to demonstrate the clinical skills acquired during the training process, independently, on the simulators or under supervision.
Knowledge and skills should be assessed by means of both oral and (written) tests, objectively structured clinical examination (OSCE), portfolio, presentations, abstract-thesis.
It is very important to apply the following forms of teaching during the training process:
- Interactive lectures, seminars, and interim exams;
- Bedside teaching;
- Use of simulators and moulages;
- Playing the role of a patient and a physician;
- Laboratory study;
- Participation in scientific research;
- Practical courses at clinical facilities.
An essential requirement for result-oriented training is early involvement of the student in scientific work. Specific hours within the curriculum are designated for the participation of the student in the research. It is important that students not only learn how to assess scientific information critically but also acquire basic principles for an organization, conduct, and analysis of the research and presentation of its findings. The students attend and participate in the scientific conferences organized by the university.
The evaluation of the training outcomes upon completion of basic medical education course implies assessing both theoretical knowledge and practical skills.
Recommendations for the assessment of the study outcomes and competencies are provided in detail in the joint document prepared by WFME and MEDINE – “Global standards for medical education quality enhancement with an account of European specifics” and conform to the competencies developed by TUNING/MEDINE.
Within the basic medical education, considerable significance is attached to the development of clinical skills. By the direct contact with the patient in the university clinic, the student develops certain clinical skills which are vital at the pre-clinical stage of the study.
In the future, the computerized training programs illustrating actual disease with maximum precision, a diagnostic or therapeutic procedure will be applied in the training process.
About the School
Caucasus International University (CIU) is a higher education institution based on national values and constant changes, aiming at producing competitive, high-qualified staff and their integration wit ... Read More