Diploma of Nursing
Welcome to your Diploma of Nursing! If you want to build a career that’s meaningful, that fills you with a sense of purpose and provides diverse job opportunities, this Diploma course is for you. Offered via a blend of on-campus and online learning, the Diploma of Nursing is the ideal starting point for students looking to become an Enrolled Nurse in Australia.
If you have always wanted to be a nurse, this is where to start!
This Diploma of Nursing course has a strong practical focus, which will prepare you to work as a qualified Enrolled Nurse. It is also the only qualification that can lead you to become registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) as an Enrolled Nurse, upon successful completion.
By studying this Diploma, you will:
- Enjoy the flexibility of classroom-based learning combined with online study and practical clinical placement
- Study abroad in attractive, world-class destinations (Perth and Adelaide)
- Obtain a nationally-recognised Australian nursing qualification
- Be connected with respected employers looking right now for nursing students just like you.
What will you learn?
As well as gaining the skills, experience and qualifications needed to work as an Enrolled Nurse in Australia, you will also learn:
- About nursing in the Australian health care system
- Legal and Ethical Nursing requirements in the Australian context
- Professional standards and responsibilities in the Australian context
- How to implement and monitor care programs for a range of health conditions
- A full range of nursing competencies including infection control, wound management, advanced first aid and more.
How long will your Diploma take?
18 months full-time across six study periods.
How will you study?
Your schedule will have two classroom days per week with your educator. You are expected to speak and engage in English whilst on campus as this will assist your English language proficiency.
You will also study online using our learning platform, called OpenSpace. You will complete online learning packages, workbooks and assessment materials. This will require on average, a commitment of at least 10 to 20 hours per week study time to be completed by you in your own time.
Professional experience placement
Your Diploma also includes practical job-relevant experience through clinical lab simulations and clinical work placement in a combination of public and private hospital, aged care and other health facilities.
The three main clusters of clinical placements to be completed cover: Introduction to Nursing, Fundamental Nursing Care, Complex Nursing Care skills.
To be eligible for the clinical placement, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Criminal history checks
- Immunisation record with evidence of up to date vaccinations
- First Aid Certificate (HLTAID003)
- Manual Handling Certificate (part of the Diploma)
- Completion of any relevant electronic health records system training (part of the Diploma)
What are the admission requirements for the course?
International student entry requirements
To be eligible for enrolment you have to meet the minimum entry requirements below.
You will need to:
- Be 18 years of age or over
- Meet the Australian Department of Home Affairs eligibility criteria for a Student Visa to Australia
- Complete an online test to assess your Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) skills against the standard levels of the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF)
- Have successfully completed the overseas equivalent to an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate (Year 12)
- Complete one of the following English language proficiency tests and meet the requirements for test results:
- IELTS (Academic module) test
- OET Online test
- PTE Academic test
- TOEFL iBT test
- You must complete a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) assessment, including evidence of financial capacity to study and live in Australia for the duration of your course
- You must reside in either South Australia or Western Australia for the duration of your course
- You must provide evidence of the required Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your course.
Further information about your entry requirements can be found in the course guide.
Becoming registered as an Enrolled Nurse
Upon successful completion, you will exit this course with a Diploma of Nursing. Graduates wishing to work as an Enrolled Nurse must register with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). You will need to meet the AHPRA Criminal History Registration Standard and the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) English Language Skills Registration Standard.
Bring your own device
To participate in this Diploma of Nursing course, you will need to have access to a laptop, notebook or tablet for the duration of the course. Both the online component you complete at home and the facilitated learning you undertake on campus with your educator require you to use this device.
Textbooks and resources
You will have to purchase some textbooks to help you complete your course, which are listed in the course guide. You will also receive a list of optional resources and the time we recommend they would be of most value.
You will have to abide by a professional dress code that meets the School of Health and clinical placement agency requirements.
How to apply
We want to make your enrolment process as simple as possible, so you can concentrate on learning new skills and earning great qualifications.
To apply for the Diploma of Nursing contact the approved educational centres below. They will provide you with information about the course, fees, answer any questions you may have and provide you with a form to complete.
The application process is quick and easy and is the first step in making your dreams a reality.
Open Colleges School of Health | RTO 40049 | CRICOS 03733E | CRICOS Course Code 099132C