Are you a caring and compassionate individual who is interested in being a key member of a health-care team? If you have a good observation, communication and problem-solving skills and a strong desire to provide quality patient care, you may want to consider a career as a Licensed Practical Nurse.
The two-year Practical Nursing diploma program taken face-to-face at the Cranbrook campus prepares you to give professional care to individuals and families in a variety of health care delivery settings.
In September of your second year, you will be eligible to write the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination. You are then able to apply to be registered with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) in order to become licensed as a Practical Nurse.
Why Consider a Practical Nursing Career?
- Our ageing and growing population will require more health services, ensuring a need for LPNs;
- The annual provincial (BC) median salary for Licensed Practical Nurses is $54,226.00;
- According to Work BC, there is expected to be over 4000 job openings for LPNs in the next 10 years, with just over half being the result of retirements.
Practical Nursing Diploma Requirements
- Anatomy & Physiology for Practical Nursing 3
- Professional Practice 1
- Professional Communication 1
- Variations in Health 1
- Health Promotion 1
- Pharmacology 1
- Integrated Nursing Practice 1
- Consolidated Practice Experience 1
- Professional Practice 2
- Professional Communication 2
- Variations in Health 2
- Health Promotion 2
- Pharmacology 2
- Integrated Nursing Practice 2
- Consolidated Practice Experience 2
- Professional Practice 3
- Professional Communication 3
- Variations in Health 3
- Health Promotion 3
- Integrated Nursing Practice 3
- Consolidated Practice Experience 3
- Professional Practice 4
- Professional Communication 4
- Variations in Health 4
- Health Promotion 4
- Integrated Nursing Practice 4
- Consolidated Practice Experience 4
- Transition to Preceptorship
- Secondary school graduation or equivalent
- Minimum 65% in either English 12, English Studies 12, English First Peoples 12, ENGL 090, or equivalent
- Minimum 60% in either Principle of Math 11, Foundations of Math 11, MATH 080, Pre-Calculus 11, or equivalent
- Minimum 60% in either Biology 12, BIOL 090, Anatomy and Physiology 12, or equivalent
- Human Anatomy and Physiology for Practical Nurses with a minimum grade of 65% must be achieved before taking Variations in Health 1, Health Promotion 1, Pharmacology 1, Integrated Nursing Practice 1 and Consolidated Practice 1
Notes for Admission and Progression:
Once you are admitted and begin the program, you must complete Human Anatomy and Physiology for Practical Nurses (PPNP 101) with a minimum grade of 65% before being permitted to progress into Variations in Health 1, Health Promotion 1, Pharmacology 1, Integrated Nursing Practice 1 and Consolidated Nursing Practice 1.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) as outlined in the Practice Education Guidelines
- Negative TB skin test or chest x-ray.
- Completion of immunizations, documented by the immunization form in the admission package, or completion of Immunization Waiver Form (Incomplete immunizations may impact a student’s access to Practicum placements).
- Complete a criminal record check through the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General Criminal Records Review Program*
- English as an Additional Language: Please visit the BCCNP.ca website for current English requirements.
*Practicum based learning is an essential component of this program. A criminal record may reduce an applicant’s access to the program and/or to required practicum opportunities. Applicants disclosing a criminal record are guided to explore other options. Depending on the nature of the offence, options may include applying for a pardon. Any associated cost is the responsibility of the student.
Tuition and Fees for International Students
- Tuition Year 1: $14,800.00
- Tuition Year 2: $14,800.00
- Application Fee: $100.00
- International Fee: $100.00
- Student Association Fee: $161.00
- Bus Pass Fee: $199.60
- Health and Dental Fee: $459.00
- Total: $30,619.60
*These prices are for international students and may not be 100% accurate. However, these estimates will give you an adequate idea of tuition and fees for our programs. These prices do not include textbook costs. All prices are subject to change.
About the School
Located in the Kootenay Rocky Mountains of southeastern BC, we offer you lifestyle and learning opportunities to match our spectacular setting.