The goal of this career program is to help individuals master the required personal and occupational qualities needed to care for people living at home and in long term care facilities.
Students will learn to identify and respond to the physical and emotional needs of clients/residents. Promoting physical and mental activation, observing and communicating with the client, handling specialized equipment, providing personal and physical care are all basic skills which will be developed throughout this program.
RCAs may seek employment opportunities in the following
• Long Term Care Facilities
• Home Health Care Agencies
• Retirement Homes/Residences
• Group Homes
• Grade 12 or equivalent OR mature student status (19 years of age or older and one year out of high school).
• Passing score on the entrance examination.
• Pre-Entrance Immunization Report indicating student is fit to undertake the program/practical, has up-todate immunization, and is free of communicable diseases. In addition to regular immunization, it is mandatory that each student be immunized against Hepatitis B. Students may also be required to be
immunized against influenza virus, dependent on field placement requirements.
• Police check indicating the absence of a criminal record.
• Must be mentally and physically able to complete requirements of the job.
• Average of at least 65% in each course of the program.
• Successful completion of all theory, practical skills, clinical placement and work experience components.
• Current Standard First Aid and Basic Rescuer (Level C) CPR certification.
• Fulfillment of all hourly requirements of the mandatory practical components (clinical, preceptorship and practicum hours).
• Successful completion of the Food Safe certificate program BC Ministry of Health.
• Successful completion of the National Association of Career Colleges (NACC) certification exam.
Career and Employment Strategies
In addition to learning career-oriented skills, students at CDI
College also learn how to get a job in their chosen profession.
This is why every diploma program includes our Career and
Employment Strategies course.
Our Employment Services Department will assist the
graduate in resume writing, as well as preparing for job
interviews. Our staff is sensitive to current job market trends
and the needs of employers in each local market.
Our graduates receive one of the most intensive job search
programs available anywhere in North America.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 28, 2017