- Official title: Graduate in Nursing
- Branch of knowledge: Health Sciences
- Center: University Nursing School of Ávila (Assigned Center)
- Type of teaching: On-site
- Spanish Language
- Regulated profession: Nursing
- Duration: 4 academic courses
- ECTS credits: 240
- Places of new entry 2019-20: 50
The Degree in Nursing begins to be taught at the USAL in the academic year 2010-11, once passed the verification process, replaces the Diploma in Nursing, and qualifies for the exercise of the Registered Nursing Profession (ORDEN CIN / 2134 / 2008, of July 3, which establishes the requirements for the verification of the official university qualifications that qualify for the exercise of the Nursing profession (BOE 19/7/2008).
It is taught in the following three centers, being the center responsible for the title EU of Nursing and Physiotherapy of Salamanca: 1) EU of Nursing of Ávila (affiliated center), 2) EU of Nursing of Zamora (assigned center) and 3) EU of Nursing and Physiotherapy (center responsible for the title).
The teachings of this Degree are aimed at training general practitioners, with scientific preparation and training to describe, identify, treat and compare health problems that can be answered from Nursing, using for this the set of methods, procedures, models , techniques and actions that improve the state of health and contribute to the prevention of diseases and their consequences. All this considering the individual in its triple dimension: biological, psychological and social.
The studies last 4 years (60 ECTS credits per year to complete 240) and are scheduled in semester subjects. The basic training subjects (60 ECTS) are concentrated in the first year; those with specific or compulsory training (84 ECTS) are mostly taught in the last two years as well as electives (6 ECS). The external clinical practices (84 ECTS) are planned for all semesters except the first and the final project (6 ECTS) for the last one.
The clinical practices are carried out in the Public Health System of Castilla y León in the Ávila Area (1 center for hospital practices and 6 primary care centers) and in the Assisted Geriatric Residency "Infantas Elena y Cristina" of the Diputación Provincial de Ávila , on which depends the University School of Nursing.
The General Objective is "that the student acquires clinical competence, with the knowledge, skills and attitudes, in a way that allows him, once concluded his training, to carry out all the professional functions, all actions that constitute the essence of the activity Professional of the Nurse, attending to the needs of the Society ". It is intended to train generalist nurses, with scientific training and sufficient training so that they can describe, identify, treat and compare health problems that can be answered from Nursing, using the set of methods, procedures, models, techniques and actions that improve health status and contribute to the prevention of diseases and their consequences. All this considering the individual in its triple dimension: biological, psychological and social.
The Specific Objectives that the students have to achieve are, following the Order CIN / 2134/2008 of July 3, which establishes the requirements for the verification of the official university qualifications that qualify for the exercise of the profession of Nurse, the following:
- Be able, in the field of nursing, to provide technical and professional health care appropriate to the health needs of the people they serve, in accordance with the state of development of scientific knowledge at all times and with quality levels and security that are established in the applicable legal and deontological norms.
- Plan and provide nursing care aimed at individuals, families or groups oriented to health outcomes, evaluating their impact through clinical practice and care guides, instruments that describe the processes by which a problem is diagnosed, treated or cared for of health.
- Know and apply the foundations and theoretical and methodological principles of nursing.
- Understand the interactive behavior of the person according to sex, disability, group or community, within their social and multicultural context.
- Design care systems aimed at individuals, families or groups, evaluating their impact and establishing the appropriate modifications.
- Basing nursing interventions on scientific evidence and available means.
- Understand people without prejudice, considering their physical, psychological and social aspects, as autonomous and independent individuals, ensuring respect for their opinions, beliefs and values, guaranteeing the right to privacy, through confidentiality and professional secrecy.
- Promote and respect the right to participation, information, autonomy and informed consent in the decision making of the people served, according to the way they live their health-disease process.
- OB9. Promote healthy lifestyles, self-care, supporting the maintenance of preventive and therapeutic behaviors.
- Protect the health and well-being of the people, family or groups served, guaranteeing their safety.
- Establish an effective communication with patients, family, social groups and partners and promote education for health.
- Know the ethical and deontological code of Spanish nursing, understanding the ethical implications of health in a changing world context.
- Know the principles of health and socio-health financing and properly use the available resources.
- Establish evaluation mechanisms, considering the scientific-technical aspects and those of quality.
- Work with the team of professionals as a basic unit in which the professionals and other personnel of the healthcare organizations are structured in a uni or multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary manner.
- Know the health information systems.
- Carry out nursing care based on comprehensive health care, which involves multi-professional cooperation, the integration of processes and continuity of care.
- Know the strategies to adopt measures of comfort and attention to symptoms, directed to the patient and family, in the application of palliative care that contribute to alleviate the situation of advanced and terminal patients.
Specific E Competencies
The specific competences are found in Order CIN / 2134/2008 of July 3, where the requirements for the verification of the official university qualifications that qualify for the exercise of the nursing profession are established:
- Know and identify the structure and function of the human body. Understand the molecular and physiological bases of cells and tissues.
- Know the use and indication of health products linked to nursing care.
- Know the different groups of drugs, the principles of their authorization, use and indication, and their mechanisms of action.
- Use of medicines, evaluating the expected benefits and the associated risks and / or effects derived from their administration and consumption.
- Know and assess the nutritional needs of healthy people with health problems throughout the life cycle, to promote and reinforce patterns of healthy eating behavior. Identify the nutrients and foods in which they are found. Identify the most prevalent nutritional problems and select the appropriate dietary recommendations.
- Apply the information and communication technologies and systems of health care.
- Know the physiopathological processes and their manifestations and the risk factors that determine the health and illness states in the different stages of the life cycle.
- Identify the psychosocial responses of people to different health situations (in particular, illness and suffering), selecting the appropriate actions to provide help in them. Establish an empathetic and respectful relationship with the patient and family, according to the situation of the person, health problem and stage of development. Use strategies and skills that allow effective communication with patients, families and social groups, as well as the expression of their concerns and interests.
- Recognize life-threatening situations and know how to execute basic and advanced life support maneuvers.
- Know and identify the psychological and physical problems derived from gender violence to train the student in prevention, early detection, assistance, and rehabilitation.
- Identify, integrate and relate the concept of health and care, from a historical perspective, to understand the evolution of nursing care.
- Understand from an ontological and epistemological perspective, the evolution of the central concepts that make up the nursing discipline, as well as the most relevant theoretical models, applying the scientific methodology in the process of caring for and developing the corresponding care plans.
- Apply the nursing process to provide and guarantee the welfare quality and safety to the people served.
- Know and apply the principles that support comprehensive nursing care.
- Direct, evaluate and provide comprehensive nursing care to the individual, the family and the community.
- Ability to describe the fundamentals of the primary health level and the activities to be developed to provide comprehensive nursing care to the individual, the family and the community. Understand the function and activities and cooperative attitude that the professional has to develop in a team of Primary Health Care. Promote the participation of people, family and groups in their health-disease process. Identify factors related to health and environmental problems, to assist people in situations of health and illness as members of a community. Identify and analyze the influence of internal and external factors on the health level of individuals and groups.
- Apply the necessary methods and procedures in your area to identify the most relevant health problems in a community. Educate, facilitate and support the health and well-being of the members of the community, whose lives are affected by health problems, disability, risk, suffering, illness, disability or death. Analyze the statistical data referring to population studies, identifying the possible causes of health problems.
- Know the alterations of health of the adult, identifying the manifestations that appear in its different phases. Identify the care needs derived from health problems. Analyze the data collected in the assessment, prioritize the problems of the adult patient, establish and execute the care plan and perform its evaluation.
- Perform nursing care techniques and procedures, establishing a therapeutic relationship with patients and family members. Select interventions aimed at treating or preventing the problems derived from health deviations. Have a cooperative attitude with the different members of the team.
- Identify the characteristics of women in the different stages of the reproductive cycle and in the climacteric and in the alterations that can occur, providing the necessary care at each stage. Apply general care during the maternity process to facilitate the adaptation of women and newborns.
- Know the specific aspects of neonatal care. Identify the characteristics of the different stages of childhood and adolescence and the factors that condition the normal pattern of growth and development. Know the most frequent health problems in childhood and identify their manifestations. Analyze the child's assessment data, identifying the nursing problems and the complications that may arise.
- Apply the techniques that integrate nursing care, establishing a therapeutic relationship with children and their caregivers. Select interventions aimed at the healthy child and the patient, as well as those derived from diagnostic and treatment methods. Be able to provide health education to parents or primary caregivers.
- Understand the changes associated with the aging process and its impact on health. Identify the structural, functional, psychological and lifestyle modifications associated with the aging process.
- Know the most frequent health problems in the elderly. Select care interventions aimed at treating or preventing health problems and their adaptation to daily life through resources of proximity and support for the elderly.
- Know the Spanish Health System. Identify the characteristics of the directive function of nursing services and care management. Know and be able to apply group management techniques.
- Know the applicable legislation and the ethical and deontological code of Spanish Nursing, inspired by the European code of ethics and deontology of nursing. Provide care, guaranteeing the right to dignity, privacy, privacy, confidentiality and decision-making capacity of the patient and family. Individualize care considering age, gender, cultural differences, ethnic group, beliefs and values.
- Know the most relevant mental health problems in the different stages of the life cycle, providing comprehensive and effective care in the field of nursing.
- Know palliative care and pain control to provide care to alleviate the situation of advanced and terminal patients.
- Evaluate interventions aimed at preventing or treating problems derived from deviations of health.
- Conduct research in relation to the different nursing subjects studied.
It is recommended that the student have knowledge of biology and chemistry.
Access to this qualification is recommended by means of selectivity (Baccalaureate) or similar qualifications.
The desirable qualities of the future student of the Nursing Degree are:
- Working capacity.
- Reasoning ability
- Ability to obtain, interpret and apply knowledge.
- Critical analysis capacity.
- Applied Anatomy
Access, Pre-registration, Admission and Registration
No conditions or special entrance tests are foreseen to enroll in this Degree. The basic state regulations are followed.
Students with partial official university studies who wish to be admitted to this degree should consult the requirements in the section "Transfer of file" of the Academic Guide of the degree in this same web.
Academic and Professional Exits
Once you finish the Degree in Nursing, we suggest you study one of the following University Master's degrees at the USAL , if you opt for a greater specialization:
- Applied Anthropology, Health and Community Development
- International cooperation for development
- Tropical diseases
- Interdisciplinary Gender Studies
- Evaluation and Development of Drugs [Specialty 1: Design, Obtaining and Evaluation of Drugs. Specialty 2: Management and Production in the Pharmaceutical Industry]
- Physiopathology and Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology
- Intervention for people with Alzheimer's disease
- Research on Disability
- Chemistry and Pharmacy of Natural Products
- Public Services and Social Policies
- Communication Disorders: Neuroscience of Hearing and Language
- Treatment of Support and Palliative Care in the Oncological Patient
- ESO and Baccalaureate Teacher, Vocational Training and Language Teaching
The professional outputs of the Graduate in Nursing can be developed in the field of care, management, teaching or in the field of research.
Scope of assistance:
In this area is where the nursing professionals perform direct care to individuals and groups. The acquisition of extensive knowledge of nursing science and of the health, human and social sciences allows nurses to apply nursing care with ethical principles and respect for the values and rights of people, maintaining their dignity. All care activity is carried out through critical thinking, reflective practice and scientific methodology. The institutions where care work can be developed are:
- Public or Private Hospitals, Clinics.
- Primary health care centers.
- Social health centers.
- Other entities that provide health care to individuals and groups: associations, NGOs, etc.
Scope of management:
The professionals, with experience and specific training, can hold management positions (Group A) in the different areas where Nursing work is carried out. You can perform management in the following areas:
- Institutional: Ministries, Councils, City Councils, Provincial Councils, etc.
- Other entities that provide health care to individuals and groups: associations, NGOs, etc.
The teaching scope of nursing professionals is developed in:
- The university degree of Nursing Degree.
- Formative cycles of Middle and Upper Grade. Health Branch.
- Postgraduate Courses and University Masters.
- Continuing education for health professionals.
- Other professional training courses: Intercultural Mediation courses in the field of Health, Training of health agents to the community, courses for caregivers of people with dependency, etc.
- Health education for people and communities.
- On-site training of new professionals.
Scope of the investigation:
One of the areas that has undergone a major change in recent years is that of research and innovation. Research has become the essential instrument to ensure the continuous improvement of the quality of care, management and teaching. The ultimate goal of any research is to increase the body of knowledge of the academic and professional discipline to ensure better health care for people and groups of people and, therefore, to improve society. The research can be done individually or as a team. Research can be done in:
- Hospitals and Public or Private healthcare institutions.
- University Nursing Schools, Faculties, Institutes of Health Sciences, Teaching Centers, etc.
- Institutions: Ministry, Counseling, City Councils, Health Agencies, Laboratories and any institution that conducts research.
The USAL facilitates your professional insertion. Links of interest:
- Professional orientation.
- Training for employment.
- Employment exchange.
- Advice on business creation.
- Practices for students.
- Practices for graduates.
Program taught in: