This course focuses on qualitative health systems research. Participants gain experience in each step of the qualitative research process and learn ways to enhance the utilization of research results.
This course is tropEd accredited and can be followed as a stand-alone course or as part of the Master in International Health or the Master in Public Health programmes.
Policy makers, managers and service providers in the health system need to be able to select appropriate research methods to better understand and address the problems they face. This course specifically focuses on qualitative health systems research. The course also discusses which methods should be used to answer different health system research questions.
Participants gain experience in each step of the qualitative research process through the development of their own research proposal, through practical exercises, and by appraising a research proposal. Attention is also paid to enhance the use of research results by policy makers, managers, health care providers, civil society, and clients.
At the end of the module/session the participants should be able to:
- explain the concepts, paradigms, and application of and qualitative research methodologies in health systems research
- clearly formulate research questions based on problem analysis
- critically appraise each other’s work (i.e. research proposals and results) on its technical and practical merits
- select and explain an appropriate mix of qualitative research tools to investigate public health issues
- formulate a feasible, consistent and logical small-scale qualitative research proposal
- propose an outline of a research report and suggest strategies to disseminate research results to different target groups
- Academic training or a professional qualification in a relevant field
- Work experience in a related area, including experience in management or planning in developing countries
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
About the School
KIT (Royal Tropical Institute) equips health professionals to address public health challenges around the world. We offer master programs and advanced courses at our training facilities in Amsterdam ... Read More