Understanding pharmacokinetics, from basic principles to clinical applications.
Explore the key principles of pharmacokinetics and how to apply them
On this course, you will learn about the principles of clinical pharmacokinetics, including factors that affect the absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion, and binding of drugs. You will learn how to integrate these principles into the process of monitoring, evaluating and adjusting dosing for patients.
You will learn through critical thinking and problem-solving exercises that relate to drug dosing and monitoring functions, that are commonly performed by pharmacists in clinical practice.
What topics will you cover?
- The fish tank – A simplified model of first-order elimination.
- Dosing basics – How to determine the right amount of drug for a patient.
- The ups and downs of predicting changes in drug concentration.
- The challenges of assessing renal and hepatic clearance.
- What pharmacists need to know about dosing aminoglycosides and vancomycin.
- Clinical application - vancomycin and gentamycin case practice.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 14 September 2020
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Identify factors that affect the absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion, and binding of drugs.
- Interpret laboratory results, assess clinical findings.
- Apply pharmacokinetic concepts in order to determine an individualized dosage regimen for a specific patient.
Who is the course for?
This course is for professionals or students looking to build their clinical pharmacokinetic knowledge. You might be an undergraduate pharmacy student, a postgraduate pharmacy student or a pharmacist in clinical practice.
Who will you learn with?
Professor and Associate Dean
I have been a pharmacy educator for more than 35 years.
Pharm.D., BCPS, ICU Clinical Pharmacist, WFH
Who developed the course?
Taipei Medical University
Taipei Medical University (TMU) has been a leader in Taiwan’s healthcare system for over half a century due to its research, teaching excellence, internationalization and outstanding medical service.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.