Bachelor of Science in Nutrition & Dietatetics
The course offers opportunities for students to develop professional competencies in the areas of Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics, which will help them, improve the nutrition status of the people they will serve. A qualified nutritionist and dietitian provides advice on proper food choices to individuals or communities to promote healthy eating, prevent malnutrition or manage diet and nutrition related deficiency conditions.
- SI. Graded Subject Name
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Fundamentals of Food and Nutrition
- Family Finance and Meal Management
- Applied Chemistry
- Nutrition and Health Education
- SI. Non Graded Subject Name
- SI. Subject Name
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Food Safety and Food Microbiology
- Food Science
- Basic Dietetics and Counseling
- Nutrition for the Community
- SI. Subject Name
- Therapeutic Nutrition
- Sports Nutrition and Fitness
- Food Service Management
- Food Quality Control
- Project Work
- Admitted students will be of similar background i.e., State Board ISC/CBSE+2 /ISc+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Biology taken together or Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics with English Subjects.
- B.Sc. Biology/ B.Sc. (Home Science)
Career and Placement
- Government Sector: They can work with government hospitals, government’s health department, schools, colleges, factories and office cafeterias for planning nutritional regiment.
- Sports and Health Clubs: They can also work for sports hostels and athletes camps. Health and recreation clubs, canteen and nursing care facilities also require the services of nutritionists and dietitians. Employment opportunities are also open to them in catering department of star hotels and restaurants.
- Teaching, Research and Development: Research and development involves conducting research on various food items to ensure their quality as well as studying the effects of various types of diet on the body chemistry in labs. The research dietician or nutritionists do research on nutritive value of food which helps to understand the various components of food we eat and the right type of food which provides a balanced mix of the essentials like vitamins, minerals etc. needed for the human body. They also can opt for research career mainly in universities, public or private sector research institutes, food product manufacturing companies and hospitals. Teaching the science of nutrition of dietetics in colleges and universities is also a good option.
- Mass Media: Moreover they could find openings in the mass media where top priority is given to disseminating vital information on healthy living.
Guidelines for Admissions
- Pre-qualification examination criteria for the Under Graduate programmes is Class 12th from any of the recognized boards of India. For foreign nationals, the pre qualification for the Under Graduate programmes is a certificate equivalent to Class 12th examination of the country and meeting the equivalence criteria of ‘Association of Indian University’.
- Pre-qualification criteria for the Post Graduate programmes is graduation from any recognized university in India. For foreign nationals, the pre-qualification criteria for the Post Graduate programmes is degree awarded by a University in a particular country and meeting the equivalence criteria of ‘Association of Indian Universities’.
- Applicants who have appeared for their final year graduation examinations in year 2015 may also apply for admission to Post Graduate programme.
- The University reserves its rights to judge the capability of a candidate through GD/PI before final admission.
- TOEFL/IELTS is compulsory for foreign nationals who do not have English as primary language in teaching and examination.
- To qualify for admission in Sharda University in its Under Graduate programme, the applicants must complete 17 years of age on 31st December of the academic year in which they are seeking admission.
See 10 more programs offered by Sharda University »
This course is