The Dental Medicine Faculty Iasi is an academical institution structured and organized in accordance with modern principles, at the same time being one of the most prestigious faculties of medical profile in the country – at a regional, national and even international level. The history of this faculty has been influenced by numerous personalities of the Romanian medicine.
Many of its graduates are representing at present important names for the Romanian and international Stomatology. Its honorable past and the dynamic and modern present constitute the premises for a bright future.
Before 1990, the academic curricula had a very simple structure being made of just four basic stomatological disciplines:
Odontology-Periodontology, Prosthetics, Maxillo-Facial Surgery, and Orthodontics.
The most important and radical curricular re-organization of the Romanian educational system for Dental Medicine was initiated in 1992 and put into practice for the first time at the Dental Medicine Faculty of Iasi. Consequently, the implementation of the most modern curricular structure also used in European universities succeeded in Iasi. However, this achievement would not have been possible without maintaining close relations of co-operation with the most prestigious institutions of a similar profile from Europe.
The Academic Curricula has the following main characteristics:
- The dental medicine education is modern and integrated, the achieved knowledge being evaluated through Transferable credits, in a similar way with the transferable credits system used in the EU;
- Ensuring an adequate training in the Fundamental Biological Sciences field;
- The students’ training in the field of the basic General Medicine Disciplines is also provided with the purpose of offering them the necessary knowledge of general pathology;
- The proper ratio LECTURES/PRACTICAL COURSES is observed;
- Specialized training is carried out through the agency of different modern stomatological disciplines;
- Special attention is paid to the Communitarian and Preventive Dental Medicine disciplines;
- Within the framework of the restorative disciplines the oral and functional rehabilitation is stressed;
- The students’ training is carried out through the Simulation method with the purpose of developing their practical abilities;
- In the sixth year of study, there has been implemented an integrated lectures and training system – Oral Rehabilitation and other.
The disciplines are grouped into 2 categories, each of them having a well-established proportion in the general plan of student education:
- 62% stomatological disciplines;
- 38% medical, surgical and fundamental disciplines.
We have diversified the main directions of the Romanian Dental Medicine educational system introducing for the first time new disciplines in the Curriculum like for example Stomatological Ergonomics, Biomaterials, Bioequipments, Gnathology, Implantology, Communitarian Stomatology, Management, Dental Esthetics.
An important objective of the didactic process is represented by the modification of the names and the curricula of the disciplines in accordance with the West-European educational system. This way, if 10 years ago there were 10 disciplines, in 2003 we have reached a number of 51 disciplines as a result of the introduction, for the first time in Romania, of several new disciplines in accordance with the European standards – and this reorganization activity continues, having as main objectives the permanent remodeling and adaptation.
- A complex Curricula, integrated, modular, oriented towards the students’ needs;
- The continuity of the educational and evaluation process;
- The permanent adaptation using the positive feedback from the students part;
- The teaching is carried out with small groups of students which allows a better training of each student and also a better supervision;
- Providing the premises for the continuous education;
- The Socratic approach to the teaching and educating process (the student must find out for himself the correct answers to the question problems he is asked by directing him through well-chosen additional questions);
- Realistic self-assessment.
ADMISSION: CANDIDATES SELECTION PROCEDURE
Any person who has graduated high-school and obtained a Graduating Diploma can be admitted to our faculty. The Romanian high-school graduates are admitted to the Dental Medicine Faculty of Iasi after a competitive written examination consisting of a written thesis in Biology AND Organic Chemistry / Physics (for long-term 6-years studies), respectively in Biology OR Organic Chemistry (for short-term 3-years studies).
The written theoretical examination is of grid-test type and consists of multiple-choice questions and the admission examination takes place in the course of July. The average mark of the four high-school years and the average mark obtained at the graduation examination are also taken into account in the calculation of the final average mark for the admission examination.
The admission of the foreign candidates takes place after the admission examination for the Romanian candidates.
Program taught in: