The objective of this programme is that of developing professionals who have strong practical competences backed by solid underpinning knowledge related to the biomedical engineering sector. The exciting advances being made in artificial body parts and organs and other prosthetic implants all fall in the realm of biomedical engineering.
The course gives candidates a basic understanding of the functioning of the human body, a sound knowledge of biomechanics and the various interfaces that allow prosthetics to become an extension of the human body. The various engineering fields involved are also studied to provide a seamless product to the client.
The purpose of assessment is to ensure that effective learning of the content has taken place. For each unit delivered students will be assigned a mixture of home-based and time-constrained assignment in class. At the end of the course students will also present their thesis.
Core Study Units
- Control Theory
- Engineering materials for medical applications
- Human Biology
- Gait Analysis and Human Movement
- Modules for Mechanical Stream:
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Implant Technology
- Biomedical Micromachining
- Modules for Electrical Stream:
- Signals and Systems
- Digital Signal Processing
- Design for Medical Instrumentation
Programme Learning Outcomes
- Appraise the interaction of medical equipment and the human body
- Analyse and design electronic and control circuits for biomedical applications
- Manage projects involving the specification, installation and maintenance of biomedical equipment
- Contribute in the development of research projects in the field of biomedical engineering.
- Biomedical engineer
- Medical equipment operations engineer
- Medical equipment maintenance engineer
- Design engineer
This school offers programs in:
MCAST-BTEC Extended or National Diploma in Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering
MCAST Diploma in Industrial Electronics – Level 4
MCAST Diploma in Computer Engineering – Level 4
MCAST Diploma in Green Energy Technologies – Level 4
2 A-Level passes and 2 I-Level passes
Compulsory A-Levels: Physics and Mathematics (Pure or Applied)